Recent Posts

Kathy S.
on 5/19/17 1:21 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Topic: RE: How did 9 years slip by??!!

Put your cursor over the avatar and you will see the option to send message. That is a PM...

Yes, always assume anything and everything you post can appear on a search engine. You may want to copy and paste your post in the message to me and then delete it.

Looking forward to hearing from you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/17 12:57 pm
Kathy S.
on 5/19/17 11:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Megan, PM me any time. I had kept over 200 pounds off for over 10 years. 115-125. When my husband got sick and passed away I put on some stress eating weight all the way up to 190. It took me many false starts and then finally it clicked. My goal was to hit 125 by Memorial Day weekend. Hovering around 130 and almost there. If I don't make it I am not going to get upset. Having the entire summer ahead of me to do so is amazing. If I can do it you can do it!

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/17 3:01 pm, edited 5/23/17 4:04 am
Topic: RE: I'm so ashamed, 6yrs out!

Kmbella, wondering if the support group still meets? I am in Xxx next to xxx and would love to join. I had surgery 9 years ago and recently back on track battling regain of 40 lbs. I lost 130 lbs in May 2008 but fell off wagon slowly over past couple years. Trying to immerse myself in support now. Love this online group and found a good one at Griffin Hospital that I attended.

thank you

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/17 2:20 pm, edited 5/18/17 7:25 am
Kathy S.
on 5/18/17 1:54 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/17 6:28 pm, edited 5/23/17 4:08 am

Hi Lisa

i know this is a very old post but very inspiring. You have done amazing! I had my RNY in May 2008 and lost 130 lbs met my goal. Over past 2 years put 40 back on. The one thing I never had was a support group and never joined this site. Where in CT is your support group is it still active?

Thanks for all

beccakevinmom
on 12/3/16 11:29 am - wallingford, CT
Topic: RE: Still Healthy After All These Years

Hi Kathy!

Glad to hear you are doing so well!!  I know Dr Bell has left CT - did you do your follow up with the current Dr's in his practice?  I had considered RNY with him after I had my band taken out in 2011ish - but decided not to go through with it - of course I am now 20 lbs heavier than i was before the band.....my Dr is in the practice with Yale now and I have an appt with him in January.

267/258/223.9 Turkey Day Challenge 15 pounds minus 2.1lbs
Highest/Surgery/Current

sarah66
on 10/26/16 12:12 am - CT
RNY on 08/05/08 with
Topic: RE: Looking for a reasonably priced Psych eva

338 is VERY reasonable... UConn Psych Services Clinic, which uses students to do the testing, might be less,  they have a sliding fee scale based on income.  860-486-2642

Kathy B.
on 10/3/16 10:15 am - East Windsor, CT
Topic: RE: Still Healthy After All These Years

No, I don't attend any support groups, and although I had my surgery at Yale, I live in East Windsor!  I did go to Yale's group for quite a while, but now that there is a new surgeon there, I'm not sure what they have available.

Most Active
Recent Topics