A cautionary tale: otherwise known as don't be stupid like Dina!

Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/23/09 6:09 am - GA
I am so sorry for everything you have gone through.

Last week I was prescribed Naproxen for upper back strain and I was surprised that not only did the pharmacy send me home with the standard drug information pamphlet, but they also included a 3 page printout on the dangers of NSAIDs. It made me scared to take it! The pharmacy has NEVER included extra information other than what is on their standard drug information sheet (which still states side effects, contraindications, etc.). I guess they are really trying to educate people on NSAIDs.

I gotta tell you that my upper back is killing me right now. :( I took some Hydrocodone instead hoping it helps.
PattiCan
on 10/23/09 9:09 am - Camden County, NJ
just had to interject here about hydrocodone.  For me, I will never ever take that again.  It caused such extraordinary stomach pain for me, I should have just dealt with the muscle and back pain I was trying to alleviate.  It was without a doubt the worst pain I have ever had in my entire life, worse than childbirth without an epidural pain.  I am going to discuss this with my surgeon when I go in for my one year checkup and ask him what the deal is with that.  I thought about Dina when this happened even though it wasn't an nsaid, nor did I take it with tylenol.  I wonder if I developed a weird reaction to codeine or something? 

hw268  sw244  cw155   gw150
Dina McBride
on 10/24/09 1:34 am - Portland, OR
Some of us do develop intolerances later in life...

I just had a reaction to Flagyl after MONTHS of IV administration of it - it wasn't pretty.

I've been allergic to codeine for about 25 years now - and my reaction was severe GI distress - to the point I was rolled up like a ball on the floor, crying, projectile vomiting until there was nothing left to throw up, and pain so intense I really hoped I'd die.  Needless to say - that stuff will never cross these lips again!!!

Hugs,

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Revision:  Lap Re-Sleeve November 10, 2008
Dr. Aniceto Baltasar, Alcoy, Spain
www.bodybybaltasar.wordpress.com
Read my DS Blog:  http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/
Julie R.
on 10/23/09 7:07 am - Ludington, MI
Dina:
Thank you so much for posting your history.     My mother has a normie stomach, and she has degenerative disc disease.   She has been on very high doses of various NSAIDS for years.  She now has Barrett's esophagus - a precancerous condition of the esophagus, and has to deal with tremendous reflux issues, along with being in constant pain due to her back and the subsequent nerve root damage down her leg, which has made her a virtual cripple since the age of about 55.
NSAID's are nothing to play around with for sure.   Since my DS, even though I knew I could take them, I have been very cautious with their administration.    I've suffered with hormonal headaches for years and relied on them a great deal to help with the pain from them.   Since my DS, I'd turn to tylenol first.   If that didn't help, then I'd to to Naproxen or Motrin.    Fortunately, losing weight helped my migraines tremendously, and that usually does the trick.       Live and learn, eh?   You've done a tremendous service to others by posting your story here, but I hate it to be at the expense of the trauma you've been through!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/09 7:40 pm - Canandaigua, NY
Julie - FYI - Motrin is the brand name for ibuprofin - still an NSAID......  Did you mean Aleve?
Julie R.
on 10/23/09 10:22 pm - Ludington, MI
Yup - I know that Motrin/Ibuprofen are the same.  I guess I wasn't clear.....only IF tylenol didn't work would I then turn to an NSAID such as Motrin/Ibuprofen or Alleve/anaprox (the generic for Alleve).
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Dina McBride
on 10/24/09 1:31 am - Portland, OR
I'm going to miss my ibuprofen.  It's been so effective for so many years.  BUT, the thing I'll miss the most is Advil Migraine.

I've had migraines for YEARS upon YEARS.   Like I'd have one once a week - at least - for years on end.  Then my doctor challenged me to give up artificial sweeteners - go****'s been a while ago - William was a baby, now he's 12.5 - and the majority of the migraines went away.  I still occasionally get one.  I've had pretty much every RX known to man for migraines - but Advil Migraine is the ONE THING that has worked for me hands down.

I tried to talk Dr. Zelko into letting me keep taking it - he laughed at me.  Stink.

Yep - definitely live and learn!

Hugs,

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Revision:  Lap Re-Sleeve November 10, 2008
Dr. Aniceto Baltasar, Alcoy, Spain
www.bodybybaltasar.wordpress.com
Read my DS Blog:  http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/
RainyDayWoman
on 10/23/09 9:15 am - Fridley, MN
Dina, holy crap!  Wow.  I will definitely think of your issues and really think before I pop too much Advil.   Thanks for sharing.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/09 3:12 pm
This is very helpful information. I've got so many joint/tendon/ligament/back issues that I used to pop ibuprofen like candy. I don't take nearly as much of it as I used to now that I have a doctor that will prescribe narcotics - even if she makes me beg for them and makes me feel like a drug seeker when I need refills - I do still take it occasionally. Haven't had my surgery yet, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on my intake afterward.
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/09 8:08 pm - Canandaigua, NY
Hey Dina -

Thanks again for sharing your ibuprofin saga.  I know I can't hear NSAID warning stories often enough!

I've had ongoing issues with osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and until my hysterectomy 5 years ago, endometriosis.  So I've popped ibuprofin like candy for many decades (and prescription Motrin before it became available OTC in the 80s). I've certainly had a cavalier attitude about it, to put it mildly.  But I'm still pre-op DS, and I sure as hell don't want to mess up my baby DS with tons of NSAIDs!!! 

I have noticed that since my spinal doc put me on 2100mg of neurontin daily, I've hardly needed any ibuprofin or Aleve (which I used to take together - usually 2 Aleve and 4 ibuprofins at once). But thanks for the cautionary tale! Duly noted!

I'm confused about your day 14 of 42 NPO and on TPN.... Somehow I thought you were on the homestretch and were going to get tests on the 28th to see about finishing it up???  Am I totally confused???  I'm so sorry to hear you still have so far to go...  Damn!  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 763 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views