A cautionary tale: otherwise known as don't be stupid like Dina!

Dina McBride
on 10/24/09 1:21 am - Portland, OR
Hey Laura,

Yeah - I copied and pasted this post in - it came from the Main DS Yahoo Group - I posted it there October 2nd.  I'm also off of antibiotics since I originally posted this.

You're right!  I'm on day THIRTY-SIX - WOO HOOO!!!!! 

I go on Wednesday for my follow-up Upper GI, and then shortly thereafter - still waiting to hear which day - they'll take me in and remove the stent in my stomach.  Could be outpatient, or not.  Still waiting to hear.

We're in the home stretch!  Hooray!

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Revision:  Lap Re-Sleeve November 10, 2008
Dr. Aniceto Baltasar, Alcoy, Spain
www.bodybybaltasar.wordpress.com
Read my DS Blog:  http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/
BrighterPath
on 10/24/09 9:33 pm
HIJACK!

Hey Laura, at your next appt with O'Malley ask him about ibuprofen.  Especially if you want to get your butt chewed off.  The only emotion I've even seen him express was when I asked about it.  He would ban it for normies if he could. 

With that said there are lots of DSers who do take NSAIDS post-op and don't have trouble, but I won't unless I absolutely have to.

Laura
306(140)150 5' 6" 5/13/10
Know the facts BEFORE choosing your surgery!
www.dsfacts.com            www.duodenalswitch.com
kidnee
on 10/24/09 12:25 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
wow dina its a wonder you didn't have renal failure too with that amount of ib!!  The amount you were taking was wayyyy toooooo much. Of course you know that. 

Thanks for your story. Hope things are getting better for you. 

Donna

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

Dina McBride
on 10/24/09 1:21 am - Portland, OR
I know!  I mean I know now - I didn't know before about the renal failure component.

Scary, huh?

Hugs,

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Laurie D.
on 10/24/09 12:33 am - minden, NE
million dollar question here....

so as an arthritis sufferer...though not nearly as severe now as pre op....down the road I am guessing age will catch up to me and my arthritis will rear its ugly head and pain again. 

I was taking naproxen sodium and then advil/motrin for break through pain originally.  Can't tell you how much cuz I was a pill popper as the pain was so horrid.  If / when it re-acts up I still take the advil.  I am ALLERGIC to Tylenol so it is not even an option for me and that is one of the big reasons for the DS (among many many many others).  Will I then only be able to rely on napraxen sodium and very little advil?  

Makes things interesting about the aging process and some of the co-morbidities that could rear their ugly heads once again down the road.  :( 
SW 308/CW164/ GW 140

Dina McBride
on 10/24/09 1:27 am - Portland, OR
Laurie,

SOME use - responsible, appropriate use - won't be a problem.  Popping pills indescriminately isn't good for ANYONE - and particularly so for anyone with a smaller stomach and on a PPI!  (Many of us are.)

The good news is that there ARE lots of RX options out there.  The difficulty being finding a doc who will invest the effort into working with you to find the right fit.

I think one thing that I find encouraging as well is the fact that my pain issues NOW - as a post-op - are just a fraction of what they were when I was a pre-op.  I was in horrible, non-stop, chronic pain (probably on a 7/8 level) 24/7 before my DS.  I do get flares of extreme pain with the orthopedic issues as a post-op over the past 7 years - but typically associated with specific issues - i.e., the hip when it needed replaced, the ankle when it needed reconstructed, etc.  None of the general - overall - no specific cause blanket chronic pain like I used to have.  I might have a TON of overall pain if I've done something really strenuous - like go berry picking for 6 hours, then get the berries home and make jam, jelly, and syrup into the wee hours of the morning.  But - duh, makes sense, right?  (I am always so surprised I'm in so much pain at the end of the day!  Isn't that silly?!)

And honestly - it's not so much about not taking ibuprofen completely (well, for me it is now), it's about strategizing - maybe take 1 now, wait 15 minutes, take a second and wait and see if that's enough.  The goal here is to keep that precious tiny tummy real estate in the best of health possible, right?!

Hugs,

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Blank Out
on 10/24/09 1:30 am
 Sorry if I am being redundant and  I missed the answer, but would chewables be a better way to go?
BrighterPath
on 10/24/09 9:35 pm
Very informative, Dina! Thanks for posting!

Laura
306(140)150 5' 6" 5/13/10
Know the facts BEFORE choosing your surgery!
www.dsfacts.com            www.duodenalswitch.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views