This very well could be a stupid question....

Fig_Newton
on 1/24/10 3:36 am, edited 1/24/10 3:38 am
But are there any differences in the benefits of losing say, 100+ pounds via DS surgery vs. traditional diets?  Either with comorbidities or not?  While obviously losing a great deal of weight is beneficial almost always and aside from the risk of gaining it  back....are there any differences in over all benefits from losing a great deal of weight via DS vs. diet?
MajorMom
on 1/24/10 3:43 am - VA

Depends on the comorbidities. You could been slim like my DH and still have high cholesterol or diabetes. The DS usually fixes both of those and before you lose 100 pounds. It's been known to fix diabetes within  a few days. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Fig_Newton
on 1/24/10 3:46 am
Which brings up another good point, actually.  What if you don't have any comorbidities going into the surgery?  Are there still benefits to have the DS surgery vs. traditional diet?

(I'm trying to really analyze everything to make the best decision).
MajorMom
on 1/24/10 3:53 am - VA
None? That's not likely if someone is carrying around an extra 100 pounds. I guess it wouldn't matter if that were the case. About a 98% chance of a lot of regain though.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Fig_Newton
on 1/24/10 4:03 am
This exactly what I was thinking....the regain thing, if nothing else.

While I haven't had the pre-testing done yet, I currently am not on any medications for anything other than asthma.  Perhaps something will show up with the pre-tests though.  Regardless, I am hoping that my asthma (even though it's been a lifelong thing I've had even when I was thin and in shape) will improve.
Frozen_Peach
on 1/24/10 3:54 am
the benefit to me and for me is keeping the weight off

I lost it on plenty of diets before but never was able to KEEP it off

for me, it was a no-brainer

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

yex1
on 1/24/10 3:57 am - NJ
I didn't have any comorbidities when I had the surgery. One of the good things about the DS is that eventually you will be able to eat more normally and you will not have to diet the rest of your life like the lapband or the RNY. also someone told me that the lapband has to be replaced in 10 years. if you want a small piece of cake on your birthday you will not get dumping.

Kelly

"Nobody trips over mountains.  It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. "

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."  ~Jacob A. Riis

Felicia S.
on 1/24/10 4:46 am - Lincoln, NE
Here is my opinion.  Both are good, but my mom lost a ton of weight and is always at risk of getting her diabetes back if she gains back too much weight.  She looks wonderful and I am so happy for her, but she will always have that black cloud hanging over her head.  She has to closely watch what she eats every day.  I don't...I should, but I don't.

Here is another example.  My husband is morbidly obese.  He worked so hard to lose weight after I had my surgery.  He really did a wonderful job.  Well, he went off the wagon right before Thanksgiving and has been eating whatever he wants (like before his diet) and in the last 2 months he has gained back 25 pounds.  He got on the scale today and was very disappointed.  He's still 25 pounds less than what he started at, but it was very upsetting to him.  I got off the wagon at that time too, but I only gained 2 pounds (I'm 155 today, which is higher than my ticker lists).  Obviously I am unable to eat the quantities of food he does due to my VSG sleeve, but still...there's a big difference between 2 pounds and 25 pounds.

He and I went back on our Atkins-like diet today.  I am hoping that he will start losing again.  He is so discouraged and hated seeing 260 on the scale again.  I have suggested the DS to him, but he's not ready for that and may never be.  So, I'll try to support him in this way (by doing a low-carb diet with him).

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Elizabeth N.
on 1/24/10 5:34 am - Burlington County, NJ
How about all that fat you don't absorb and the beneficial effects on your blood lipids and heart and stuff?

How about having an 80% or so chance of keeping off enough weight to make it matter, versus less than 5% chance of doing the same with "diet and exercise"?
Mdae
on 1/24/10 8:22 am
My dad was extremely fit, and had pancreantitis (sp?), diabetes, and undiagnosed heart trouble (he died suddenly of a heart attack).

I feel pretty good about having improved my chances of sidestepping some of that, at least to a large degree.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 136 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 678 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views