Is VSG not enough?

Caleña M.
on 3/29/11 6:14 am
I was scheduled for the DS last July, and had only VSG. I am scheduled for the 2nd part at the end of April.
VSG is not enough for me.  I still have a lot of restriction, so volume is not an issue.  Metabolically, I am unable to loose it all.  I have been MO even with exercising and dieting most of my life.  I lost 30 lbs with the VSG, and need to loose another 75 - 80 lbs and I will never reach goal with the VSG.

I suggest you listen to what others have said and consider the full DS if you don't want revision.

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
Elizabeth N.
on 3/29/11 6:24 am - Burlington County, NJ
I would not have worked at ALL for me. You have been told this by a surgeon who does not perform the DS. Buyer beware.
larra
on 3/29/11 10:36 am - bay area, CA
Your surgeon lists the Ds as an operation that he does, along with claiming he does every other bariatric operation known to mankind - but in over 5 years on this forum, this is the first time I've ever seen his name. I very much doubt that the DS is part of his practice, certainly it's not something he does more than rarely (if at all).
     Which means that the person steering your towards the sleeve is steering you to an operation that he really does do, which might be because he really thinks this is in your best interest, or might be because he doesn't want to lose you as a paying customer.
     Do your own research! Read here, and read on dsfacts.com. Make your own, independent decision as to what operation is best for you, with the idea that you want to get it right the first and hopefully only time.  You still have plenty of time to change your plans if that is your decision.
     For me, the VSG would have been a bad decision. I don't doubt that I would have lost weight, and I equally don't doubt that I would have regained the weight after awhile. For most MO people, there is something wrong with our metabolisms by the time we are willing to even consider wls, and a restriction only operation doesn't fix what's wrong with us.
     And all that is aside from the real life issue of whether or not your insurer would pay for a second wls, or whether you would meet their qualifications for another wls, etc.

Larra

walter A.
on 3/29/11 11:06 am - lafayette, NJ
all the pain, and discomfort is felt in the vsg, the intestine gave me no pain or discomfort in my 1 stage ds,  Why go through surgical pain, and risk twice?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views