?? about the DS surgery??

geutenmorgan
on 4/29/11 3:25 pm
Is there anyway to ensure that I get the full DS surgery instead of the sleeve/ 2 part surgery to a DS?  What are the main reasons why people get the 2 part?  Is it just a matter of loosing/ being the right weight before hand?  I want to make sure I get the DS the first go around as do most people, but what can I be doing right now while waiting on Drs offices/ insurance approval to make this surgery go smoother?
I think I would be very depressed about getting the sleeve only, when I have in my heart the excitment to get the DS.

CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
kirmy
on 4/29/11 3:35 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I can think of no good reason why you couldn't get a full DS.  Many surgeons try to pursuade you to go two part so that you'll lose sufficeint weight with the VSG not to need the intestinal re-configuration.  It means you're under anasthetic for less time and your chances of developing more complex post op complications are less due to intestinal leaks.  That said they are then going to put you through ANOTHER operation 12 months down the line and expose you to greater long term risks of adhesions causing obstructions and perforations etc etc etc.  It is a double edged sword.

I was very very clear with my surgeon that under no cir****tances would I tolerate a two part procedure.  I wanted the full DS and if that meant they had to abandon it laprascopically then so be it open me up!!! I knew  that I'd strech out my VSG within the year and that without malabsorbtion I'd re-gain.  The fact is I know I will regain a portion of my weight in the next two years but I'll never regain ALL of my excess weight and for me that is the biggest gift going.

You have to be a very clear communicator without being aggressive.  I'd write out your feelings on the matter and give this to your doctor to go in your file so it is there for all posterity.  It also doesn't hurt to go to a vetted DS surgeon who we all know does them often that way there is less chance of a "baiot and don't switch" operation. 

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
airbender
on 4/29/11 8:38 pm
essentially no, as there are no absolutes in medicine.  you can educate yourself on which surgeon has a high 2 part DS.  a 2 part DS should be a very rare situation, but there are surgeons that have a very high % of their patients that are 2 parts, for example, pomp in NY

ask your surgeon about getting the full DS, if there is any hesitation, find out why, if he/she says that they want you to lose weight with the sleeve first and that is the only reason, head for the nearest exit door.  if indeed you have a medical condition that prohibits you from getting a full DS (again a rare situation) that would be know up front.  ask questions, if you feel that the surgeon is telling you that most likely you will get a 2 part DS and you don't have any pre-existing medical issues-get a 2nd or 3rd opinion

Elizabeth N.
on 4/29/11 8:52 pm - Burlington County, NJ

No, you can't be 100% sure because patient safety is Number One for any surgeon. But you can pick a surgeon with the best possible track record for completing his/her procedures in one shot, and you can be really firm about your opinion of sleeve-only. Don't go to a surgeon who has a specific cut-off time for time on the table.

Those are some ways you can tip the scale in your favor, so to speak.

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 11:46 pm
I think I remember you stating you were looking at Dr. Stewart as your surgeon.  He has never had to do a two-part procedure.  He also does almost exclusive laparoscopic DS.  One in our group was well over 600 lbs when they had their surgery.  He would never do anything to jeopardize your health, but is very good at what he does. 
pycca
on 4/30/11 12:02 am - Haslet, TX
HIJACK !!

Don't you look spiffy with your glasses !!!

Are they better to have wolf eyes at Tracy !! LOL

Gutenmorgan,,, Do check out DR Stewart!!  Like Slim said, He does his lap and in one part,,

Good luck !

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 12:09 am
Hey Pycca,

Thanks!  The glasses are new.  I don't know if age crept up on me or the weight loss had something to do with it or both.  I'm now near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other.  The glasses certainly make for better wolf eyes!
teachmid
on 4/30/11 2:25 am - OKC, OK
Hijack.....Great new pictures, Steve.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Janine P.
on 4/30/11 12:55 am - Long Island, NY
My surgeon did mine as a two-step process because I had lap band removal complications and I was under for too long.  Assuming you're not a revision, you shouldn't have issues.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Sheanie
on 4/30/11 1:48 am

You need to be sure the surgical consent papers you sign are correct.  Mine were not, so I refused to sign them until they were corrected.  Still, in pre-op, my surgeon stated to me "So you know that there is a possibility that you'll wake up with just the sleeve, right?"  To which I replied "If that happens, I'll be very pissed, and I'll live with it.  But you won't be seeing me back for the Switch part."  My surgeon's smile dropped, and I woke up with the full DS. 

My suspicions are that the medical profession makes more money doing more procedures "unbundled", or during separate visits, under anesthesia multiple times.  This is my own pessimistic and suspicious view, based on statements made by a surgeon to me.  He said that the sleeve was not approved at that time as a stand alone weight loss procedure by my insurance company, but that he "knew how to get it approved", by saying he was doing the full DS (which they approved), then only being able, medically and surgically, to perform the sleeve.

Nothing in life is 100% sure, except death and taxes.  And life is unfair.  Expect to wake up with only the sleeve, that way you'll be stoked if you get the full DS.

P.S.  I was a "lightweight" and was under for a long time, DS lap.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views