VSG to DS? Anyone had this done?

LngRedRose
on 5/15/11 10:08 am
Those are the things I am asking about.  What are the pros and cons?  I am seeking info from folks like you.. who have BTDT.

Hugs, Karen R. (Mom to TWELVE incredible kids)
Louisiana 

Janine P.
on 5/15/11 11:48 am - Long Island, NY
Okay. I can only give you my experience thus far (which is only 12 days out.)  I have had three solid bowel movements total.  The rest has all been diarrhea.  I have not tried immodium to bind me up but I guess I could try it if I wanted to.  I'm not one to medicate every problem, so I'm just dealing with the diarrhea.

It took me 9 or 10 days to lose the water weight I put on in the hospital.  Excluding tha****er weight, I've lost 1.6 pounds of pure body weight in 3 days. 

Because you're a revision, I'm assuming this will be a bit more painful for you, because you will have adhesions.  This was my third WLS and I was FULL of adhesions and the pain reflected that.  Just an FYI.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 4:15 am
I will be going that route! Im 9 months out and struggling to maintain...and Im still 486lbs.  So in my case, the DS is essentail. I have an appointment with my surgeon in August which will be 1 year post vsg for me and I'm hoping he will sign me right up!!!!!

Good luck to you! Research research and research some...until your eyeballs fall out and your sprain your finger from clicking.  The DS is like having a child, you will always be responsible for it, lol, and you need to know what you are in for vitamin wise as non compliance can = death in a few short years.  Not to be a debbie downer, but ya gotta take them sups!
LngRedRose
on 5/15/11 10:09 am
Can you expand on the Vitamins that you will be required to take, etc?  Thanks!!

Hugs, Karen R. (Mom to TWELVE incredible kids)
Louisiana 

maryc543
on 5/20/11 1:14 pm
With just the sleeve, there was no malabsorption, so I just needed to take 'normal' amounts of vitamins.  Post switch, I had to add to it....follow the Vitalady suggestions (mostly).  I supplement Calcium, Vit D and K, zinc, multi, iron, vitamin B.  We change the amounts around based on my lab values.       I seem to have high levels of A  and E, so I don't add more than is in the multi.  I take 150,000 units of Dry D a day, and my levels are only in the 30's.    Because of the malabsorption, I also have to be more aware of my protein consumption.  BUT  I can eat fats to my hearts content, bacon, cheese, dairy, etc......   with a great cholesterol blood level results.
     It didn't take too long to get into the new bowel patterns, and my weight loss is posted in my profile...you can see the sleeve losses and then the losses with the switch....   If you have specific questions, just PM me...  I'm not online so much as I'm back in school again!   
Good Luck!   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views