Pain Question?

geutenmorgan
on 5/30/11 4:26 pm
I have had 3 c- sections.  Is the pain and body manuvering anything like after having a c- section? How long is one in pain after the DS?  I am just trying to get my head around what it will be like afterwards?  What kind of pain meds do you usually take to manage the pain. Is one better than another?   
Thanks for the information!
CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
Jolly Rancher
on 5/30/11 4:40 pm
Never had a c-section, but I will say, I did have quite a bit of pain after my surgery. It was controlled but a number of meds in the hospital. I was sent home with liquid lortab, and the dose did not touch my pain level, so I ended up doubling the dose and getting another refill early. That said, after two weeks, I was ready to go back to work (work at home) and the pain had decreased immensely.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
2bee.or.not2bee
on 5/30/11 6:44 pm
 i had a lap VSG a year and a half ago, and I really had very little issues with pain. The pain meds available were good (I was in India) and I mostly used tylenol when I got home.  Two weeks ago I had the DS done (in Qatar) It was also done lap , but this time the surgery took 4 hours due to adhesions and a hernia as well as the switch. I have a good level of pain tolerance (I have allergies to Morphine, Codeine, and Fentanyl) but I thought I would die. The main med they gave me was IV TYLENOL!!!! I went home (in tears) with pediatric tylenol as well. Now two weeks out I am OK but, I will think long and hard before I have surgery here in Qatar again.
I would think that if you have had C-sections, and are having surgery in a country that TREATS pain, you should do well.  Your Doc should work with you for pain control. 
I wish you all the best!
~~CC
Lisa A.
on 5/30/11 7:31 pm - Windsor, NY
I had open DS on a Monday and left the hospital on Thursday. I was on pain meds (totoally out of it the whole hospital visit) but once I got home I didn't need the pain meds after Friday. I was extremely sore and had to sleep in a recliner for 3 weeks or so. I walked a bit hunched over and wiping yourself is quite the task. I was just so sick of being drugged and having that hazy feeling. If I needed them, I would have taken them but I was okay without them. My problem was the dehydration and nautious feeling. That was what was horrible.

KarenFlorida
on 5/30/11 8:41 pm - Orlando, FL
I had a c section two years ago, and I'm having lap DS next week, so I will be able to answer this question better in a couple of weeks. Repost this, or PM me, if you are still wondering. I'm sure someone will come along who can already answer that for you, though. This forum has been a great resource for all of my questions and worries! Karen
newyorkbitch
on 5/30/11 8:56 pm
I had a lap DS and I have a had a c-section.  The DS recovery was much worse.  It is far more major a surgery.
shannn
on 5/30/11 9:21 pm - Knoxville , TN
I didnt have a lot of pain after the first 24 hours. I only took the meds at night to sleep. I think everyone is different.
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

southernlady5464
on 5/30/11 9:35 pm
While I didn't have a c-section, I did have a partial hysterectomy back i***** It was open as most surgery was back then. My pain from the GAS of the lap was far worse. But my healing time was far less with the lap DS.

It's a wash as far as I am concerned.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 8:30 am
I also think it varies from person to person. I had a virgin closed DS about 2 months ago. In the hospital, the pain was well-controlled with meds, but if the nurse was late with my next dose, I was on that call button!  I went home on Vicodin, but weaned myself off within 1 week after surgery. When I first got home, I needed help to get in and out of bed, put on my socks and shoes, reach the top shelf, etc. I would describe more as strong soreness when I stretched or twisted my torso in any direction. Each day, I found I could do a little more in terms of moving. After I quit Vicodin, I didn't bother with the Tylenol. I find it does little for me. I was driving again at two weeks sort of normal again. 

My biggest complaint  was the sheer amount of work required the first week or two. You have to get in liquids and some protein and managing meds andwalking enough and breathing into that tube!  I was exhausted and slept 12-14 hours for a good 3-4 weeks. I might have taken naps, but I knew I couldn't get in all my liquids if I wasn't awake!   

I think having helpful, patient and kind support at home and a good attitude really help recovery.  Some people go back to work at 2 weeks, but I took 6 weeks of medical leave. I travel across the country for work. I probably could have done office work with a short commute after 4 weeks.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.
geutenmorgan
on 5/31/11 12:59 pm
Thank you everyone for the "vision". I am looking forward to having this part over with, and on to my new life.
CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views