Suspected Fissure . . . Now What???

DivaJojo
on 6/19/11 11:15 pm - Atlanta, GA
Okay, first let me say that I did not disregard the advice received in response to my post a couple of weeks ago about my early morning episode in the bathroom (recap, solid movement, little stinging, extreme dizziness requiring rush to bed and weak, shaky feeling for a couple hours . . . ).  Now, I suspect however that I've been dealing with a mild fissure for the past 3 weeks or so.

Warning - TMI and BTR (Bathroom?) Talk . . .

From the very first day of getting back on track, my BT habits have gone back into a predictable routine.  One full elimination in the morning.  Usually beginning is nice and solid (I'm guessing thanks to the protein shake each morning) and then softer to finish.  The first couple of days, I did exert a little pressure to initiate, but that's it.  Even that very first morning, I did feel a little bit of stinging (you remember, in my post I associated it with my body being a little uncomfortably stretched because I haven't had solid movements like that due to my eating habits the past couple of years)  The burning/stinging/stretching sensation has continued, still mild, but more noticable since then.  For a while there it felt like when I would indulge in too many Blazin' Buffalo Doritos with french onion dip.  But as it has continued, I've been able to compare the feeling more and it's not the same burning.

Since it hasn't gone away, I haven't been able to identify a particular food culprit that would irritate that way, and has gotten progressively worse (kind of mild-moderate, not screaming pain, but I would say "disturbingly" painful) now, I suspect it's been a fissure all along.

That being the case . . . what do I do now, to make sure it doesn't get worse and help it heal?

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 11:25 pm - Saint Louis, MO
I thought for sure I was dealing with a fissure, but mine ended up being a plain jane hemorrhoid.  Start with your PCP and have him/her guide you from here.  Don't try to suck it up like I did and wait until it keeps you up at night with pain.  The sooner you catch it, the better off you'll be!!
KarenFlorida
on 6/19/11 11:45 pm - Orlando, FL
I agree. Have someone check it out (as much as you don't want to) and then you'll know exactly what is going on. Your PCP can do it, or if you don't want to "go there," you can have a general or colorectal surgeon look at it, or a gastroenterologist, if they will see you without a referral.
Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

DivaJojo
on 6/20/11 12:47 am - Atlanta, GA
Hmmm . . . I guess I can go to the same guy who did my colonoscopy for pre-op.  Dang, I'm due for a colonoscopy anyway.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Ann M.
on 6/20/11 2:45 am, edited 6/20/11 2:46 am - GA
Get yourself to your GI doc or PCP ASAP. The longer you wait you diminish your chances of having this medically managed.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views