OT - about our progress (xpost, if I knew how to do it)

vitalady
on 6/22/11 12:58 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
If you don't know me, this will be very boring!

According to my son, who exaggerates a tiny bit, ALL of my customers are furious with "me" for forcing Don on this trip or that I went on to the conference, leaving him in Knoxville. I left him in a nest of "us", with cats, who mothered him far more than I would've. Yet another one of our own Grads, drove to Knoxville (200 mi) and then drove him to me in Orlando (650 mi).

He cannot fly til maybe next fall. That is not an option.

I'm not asking for money, or hinting or anything, so let's just get the events in order, without any agenda that someone might see because they care about us or think we've been done dirty.

Our rig was new 3/3. The one we had was factory error, so they did in the end fix the main problem, but we were unwilling to live with the secondary problems. The dealer we traded TO was well aware of i****ched the repairs made by the mfr in my driveway.

So, nice new rig. Minor issues at first, they all do. Truck is good.

Houston: clutch stinks. That can't be right, it's got only 11 months and 8k on it. Take to dealer, *****ally had been assigned to see if we were idiots. No

Checotah, OK: we survive tornado ok, but rv slides into ditch, hanging up on its steps, which saved it. It is fine, steps, not working.

Knoxville, arrive for dinner, but where is Don? Sitting in the door bleeding. WHAT? He has fallen from the rear ladder, and then picked himself up, walked around and HEFTED himself in to the door with the steps that are bent. 4 steps, or rib high to me.

Off in an ambulance to UTn. I call Ben to rescue me and rig. He's driven truck and trailer, just not this size. We wait til the last possible day.

Why are my feet wet in the living room carpet? Guys in RV park are all there as insurance adjusters for the flooding. Dx problem as leaking frig.

Found dealer in Marietta who was auth to fix by rv and firg mfrs. 1/2" tube will cost Heartland a new floor along the driver's side. He found 4 factory errors in the roof, as well.

We make it to Orlando, conference, hand truck wheels missing bolts, then air, but Ben is determined, and takes Dodge 40 miles to nearest positive review dealership, hand truck fix, and rents small car, so now one Dodge trip back 'n forth is 4 rental trips.

Actual SALES at the conference are not the measure. Face Time is and I think that was very good. If someone wants to call me out, they can do it right there.

Up til Knoxville, we were so happy to meet with the people! We are STILL glad we have met with such people as we have. Even the guys at the RV park. 3 of them, each in his own rig with family at home, pitched in to finish set up, babysat Lucy when I followed the ambulance. While WLS are "us", so are "rvers". The park ppl were helpful, the guys thought some poor kid was gonna lose a gramma here, so they fed me. I taught them about freecycle and we all freecycled something that each of us didn't want and someone else did. Perfect ending to a steak evening. I will not go into more detail about Liz and Charles Ramset or MaLinda and Tim Blanchard, cuz then you'll be crying and messing up your keyboards. You know it takes something really bad or really wonderful to make me mess with my mascara.

Yep, new clutch, and big surprise, not covered. Again, dealer does as much as they can to make us happy, but obviously, we will never buy a Dodge again. $10k of expenses on a 100k bumper-to-bumper warranty and we've just passed 3 yrs? Yes, I understand consumable. I also understand that we should be able to consume parts first.

Because of the Dodge, we are now 3 days behind. Hope to catch up in Myrtle Beach. Don is fine driving and seems more relaxed than I've seen him since the day he fell.

As to whether we will continue past DS (4th of July), we'll wait and see. I have not canceled those reservations yet. We've got short travel days til way up north, anyway.

We missed Don's sis in FL, his bro is in SC and other bro in NY.

So, you're up to date, and I'm sorry if people can't see why we do what we do, in this way, Flying wouldn't even be worth the frustration of the airport for me. It's not about flying in and selling product. It's about meeting ppl, seeing faces, hearing voices (theirs, not the other kind). Driving by car would be equally as frustrating,cost more over all, but true, we wouldn't have as many breakdowns. In theory.

If we have to give up the rv lifestyle, chances are we won't travel. The "vacation" part is the actual driving between and seeing things we'd never see.

Below are Don's comments when Ben told him that the entire world was mad at me. I think that may be a slight exaggeration, but for those who are:

Thanks,

Michelle
Vitalady, Inc ?
www.vitalady.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:57 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Disruption to VitaTour 2011

We arrived in Knoxville and found our campground. We got directions to our site (a back in) right on the lake. Things were tight and other vehicles made maneuvering difficult. Backing in to the spot I grazed a tree with my awning but otherwise got in and disconnected.

We were meeting Liz and Charles at Calhoun's for dinner. After hooking up and getting the trailer level I needed to see if I did any damage to the awning that needed to be taken care of. There is a secure ladder on the back end so I headed up to take a look. Nothing extensive there so we lucked out again.

Or so I hoped. Coming back down, our world was about to change once more as my knee gave out and threw me against the ladder and next thing I know, I'm on the ground. Gotta watch that first step, right? AND don't forget you are SIXTY THREE YEARS OLD! Not 63 years young.

Somehow I made it into the trailer and sat up when Michelle said it was time to get ready to meet the Knoxville folks. "Hey, what are you doing sitting down there?"

"Uh hon, I think I'm bleeding"

Panic city, and calls for an ambulance on the advice of the VA. Taken to the U of TN Medical Center, they assess four broken ribs, collapsed lung and broken lower "spinal processes" which are the nubs on the lower spinal bones. And, of course, a major case of stupidity.

All they really could do was surgery to insert a chest tube to help inflate the lung and pain meds to help with the broken ribs. I don't remember the first few days very well, except that Liz and Charles were there every day, doing whatever they could to make Michelle and me comfortable.

Once I was stabilized, we talked about scrubbing the trip and heading home. I hear that there has been quite a bit of chatter on some of the online support groups suggesting that Michelle insisted she go to Orlando and that we finish the trip as planned. I would like everyone to be clear about this.

The decision for Michelle to continue to go to the conference was mine. She wanted to stay and care for me, as she has for so many of us. There was nothing she could do except to fawn over me (driving me crazy, LOL).

We arranged for me to recoup and get discharged into Liz and Charles' care for a few days. Michelle's son flew in to take Mom and the trailer to Orlando and help at the conference. MaLinda and Tim drove up from Georgia and took me to Orlando to meet up with them. These five are true angels.

During this time we are assessing my limits and tolerance. With a few pain pills I felt good enough to travel and work the conference, too.

For those who think we should stop traveling as we do (by RV) or should have made other choices regarding VitaTour 2011, consider this. WE ARE COMMITTED TO THE BARIATRIC COMMUNITY because it is the most loving and caring group of folks we know. We are paying back for the "gift" we were given over 15 years ago.

The decision to do VitaTour 2011 so soon after my previous complications was mine and I still believe it was the right one. We need to meet with you all as you are our major source of encouragement and support. Cancelling the trip would have taken that away from us, so we committed to VitaTour 2011 and will continue to do so, for 2012 and beyond.

These are decisions only we can make, based on who we are. Going on the roof was my "job" and the only poor (or stupid) choice made. If I hadn't, what would we be discussing today? Probably how we got to Jacksonville.

If you think we push ourselves too hard, it's a lot easier than "pushing away from the table or exercising" to lose weight.

Understand we appreciate all of your concern and opinions and yes, do consider them, BUT it is harder on us if we feel our choices were irrational or self serving. Trust me, your prayers and well wishes, mean so much more to us that you will ever know.

Thanks,

Don Curran

(Vitaguy)

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

mariposantos
on 6/22/11 1:36 am - Raleigh, NC
Michelle and Don,

I just want you to know that not ALL your customers think that way.  I think the vitatour is a wonderful gesture to show your customers that you really care about US and our experiences and our health, and it shows that your business is about helping people, not selling product.  I am glad that you are both able to get something out of it as well as your customers.  My personal perspective of you continuing with the tour after all you have been through is that you are both adults and have the capacity to make decisions together as a couple and partnership as to what is best for you.  I don't believe that either of you would put the other's health in jeopardy.  I am glad you will be continuing on the tour and really hope that you are able to make it to Raleigh so I (and the rest of us) can meet you in person.  But, I know that you will make a decision each day as to how you are doing and adjust your schedule accordingly to stay safe and healthy. 

This is just my personal perspective, but I wanted to offer it to you for what it is worth...those of us who support your decisions may not have been as vocal as those who have issues, but I have no doubt there are plenty of us out there.

Pamela
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

vitalady
on 6/22/11 2:14 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
And I appreciate it. I know the ppl who are telling my family the most are the ones I've known the longest and they deeply care. They don't grasp that the tour is the PURPOSE, the conference is the target.

We agreed before the trip and again in Knoxville that if we take away the ability to travel at our own speed, we may as well not do it.

We should be in Myrtle Beach today, where Don's bro is. If we make it just one night, we'll be back on schedule by Raliegh.

Just email me directly (not PM) and I can keep you updated. [email protected]

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

teachmid
on 6/22/11 1:42 am - OKC, OK
Michelle,
Thank you so much for the update and laughing. . I know ot hasn't fen funny for y'all but I ROFL with your comment about our Oklahoma tornadoes.

You have been in my thought and prayers. Continue with safe travels.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

vitalady
on 6/22/11 2:16 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
no, the most expensive thing is the Dodge, all the rest is covered with insurance. We hope the hospital went under the VA,or our out-of-pocket was met in the first 3 hrs. Again.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 1:55 am
Safe travels and good health for the rest of your tour. You two are wonderful people to do what you do and your efforts are GREATLY appreciated.

Dana
vitalady
on 6/22/11 2:14 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
THANK YOU!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

Emily F.
on 6/22/11 2:56 am
I had no clue the extent you were going through!! So sorry and I didn't think anything of you missing in Fl. I hope to catch up with you in Indy if you are up to it.

SAfe travels.
prettypixels
on 6/22/11 3:28 am
People are mad that you guys are touring? I have never met you, but I'm all excited to meet you in Fairfax in July. Rock on, Vitacouple I'm so sorry you've had such a rough trip so far!!! Sending you happy vibes for an easier journey!
vitalady
on 6/22/11 8:15 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
They care. They worry.

I' sposta be the Mom and they're trying to usurp my position as the Official Worrier

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 358 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views