Digestive Enzymes vs Probiotics....what the difference?

Jersey Girl
on 7/12/11 6:36 am
I'm not completely understanding the difference between digestive enzymes and probiotics.  Can someone shed some light for me?  My thinking is that probiotics keep the bacteria in good balance.  Does this prevent gas and bloat?

Digestive enzymes help to digest foods, which may also help with gas and bloat, correct?  Also, do we really want to absorb more of the food we eat? 

I'm confused! 
A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
Lisey
on 7/12/11 7:50 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
You've got the difference exactly right.  Digestive enzymes theoretically help with gas and bloat.  Gas and bloat are caused when undigested food enters your colon/ large intestine & the little microbes feed on them.  I byproduct of the microbes' metabolism is methane = gas & bloat.

That's not to say, though, that there have been enough DSers around to answer the question of whether it would actually help with gas & bloat.  Traditionally, people just change their diet to minimize certain types of carbs to do that.

No, we don't want to absorb more calories!  Only EXTREMELY thin (clinically underweight), malnourished people should consider it in most DSer's opinion b/c . . .  I've mostly seen this question posted by someone who has reached goal weight & is worried about losing too much or who would like to gain back a few pounds, but are still in their main WL window.  It's not recommended to take digestive enzymes b/c chances are that the person who has achieved goal weight will likely stop losing, the body just stops at a healthy point without changing too much of anything - aside from being able to eat more as we progress from our surgery date.  The person who may be a few pounds below their preferred body weight is typically still a clinically healthy weight.  Many people tend to gain a few pounds around years 2 - 4.  Having a little "extra room" for a few pounds gain is a good thing at that point is the reasoning of many.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

lovemypugs
on 7/12/11 9:54 am - VA
Dumb question - how do you tell if it's a digestive enzyme or probotic? Will it specifically say? I have been taking Digestive Advantage Intensive Bowel Support because I thought it is a probiotic.

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

Jersey Girl
on 7/12/11 10:11 am
Good question.  Now I'm wondering about the Primal Defense Ultra that I ordered.

J G.
on 7/12/11 4:04 pm
Alysia, this one is just a probiotic.  Some people like it, some don't.  Just have to try it and see...
J G.
on 7/12/11 3:57 pm, edited 7/12/11 3:58 am
Lovemypugs,

I'm a litlle leary of this one. I read the label which mentions their probiotic but then also says:

Studies show that GanedenBC30 breaks down complex carbohydrates that, if undigested, may trigger or worsen certain digestive upsets.

That sounds like a digestive enzyme

lovemypugs
on 7/12/11 7:50 pm - VA
Thanks Jenny!

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

Lisey
on 7/12/11 11:51 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
It's a probiotic (I just googled it & went to manufacturer's website).  All products should say how they function - to increase good gut/ bowel flora or help balance flora is always a probiotic whereas a digestive enzyme will talk about helping you to digest food or energy metabolization.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Jersey Girl
on 7/12/11 9:35 am
Thanks Lisey.....that's really helpful!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views