Vertical Incisional Hernia Repair & Panniculectomy Surgery date!

1Blessed4life
on 7/12/11 12:17 pm, edited 7/12/11 12:19 am
Okay, now that I am a year & a half out from my original surgery date & down 120 lbs, I am not looking forward to having this surgery. I am currently active & healthy, (gym, hiking with my family, ect.) so not looking forward to the 'down time' needed to heal. How long was healing time for those of you that have been through this, and any pointers?
Dr. Martin said I would go home with 2 drains & probably be in the hospital for 2 days. Is the recovery pain & healing time similar to the open DS/BPD surgery I had? I'm praying that because my health is so much better my recovery with be easier, but he also mentioned I would have a large mesh put in to cover the incisional hernia area. I had a small mesh put in for an ambilical hernia during my orig surgery & it was one of the most sensitive & painful (burning) areas after surgery.
Here we go, prayers are appreciated.
*edited ~ added surgery date; Aug 3rd, 2011
ps. labs looked good so far - waiting on a few more vitamin results.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image 
 HW: 260 / SW: 254 / CW: 140 on 01/15/13 Orig GW: 150             ~Jeremiah 29:11  

Not yo business OH
on 7/12/11 12:55 pm
hey. Glad you posted this. I am suppose to have similar surgery in december. Dr sudan said since I was having the pani at the same time that mesh wouldn't be needed. I am a little concerned about it since my hernia is so large....football size. I will be 1.5 years out as well when I have mine fixed. Hope you get some good replies.
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 11:58 pm - TX
Woo Hoo, Aug 3rd, that is right around the corner!!  I have no advice, as you know but am excited for you.  Did you get my PM?  Since you had such a roller coaster with your DS, I have to believe this one will be easier!
CAJUNMAN3366
on 7/13/11 1:24 am - Breaux Bridge, LA
just had this surgery a few weeks ago, recovery is not that bad was in hospital for 3 days and left with no drains. staples were removed in 2 weeks. no pain meds since i left hospital. pain manangeable but i id have an epidural which stopped me from walking after the surgery and drove me crazy cause i was ready to move and couldnt. Recovery was much easier as my heakth was so much better since DS. i brought my own vitamins and protein cause they will try to give ya oil based vits i just refused them and took mine. my whole  abomin is still numb but feeling is coming back slowly and one good thing my belly button was saved ~! LOL
you will do great and wont regret having it done.

First annual DS cruise is in the books.  Dark Side Cruise Redux: July 15,2012.
Check us out on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/home.php
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 273 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 747 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views