Question about Vitamins

rubytica
on 7/13/11 9:06 am - GA

I have been switched 2 weeks ago and I am still on a liquid diet for one more week.  I cannot wait for the soft diet.  I am keeping up my fluids and my protein.

I have seen the vitalady vitamin schedule but currently I am following my Dr's advice of having 2 COMPLETE multivitamins a day, 3 doses of ADEK a day, 3 dosage of 500mg Calcium citrate a day.  Since I have the bariatric advantage multivitamin with ADEK, I currently take 3 of these a day plus iron plus the calcium.

Wanted advise from you on what you think about me continuing like this or change to vitalady or just wait for my first lab work.

Thank you

beemerbeeper
on 7/13/11 9:11 am - AL
Listen to the vets here and get yourself on VitaLady's program now.  I'm a Smith patient too and am saddened to see that his vitamin advice has not improved any in two years.

It is a lot easier to keep your labs up than to dig yourself out of deficiencies.  Just read some posts from people who are trying to do that.

There is not enough ADE or K in those damned BA vitamins.  And how are you supposed to adjust them if you need more of one or two of them when you get your labs?

That is NOT enough Calcium. 

What iron are you taking?

This is what you need to be building up to and sooner rather than later.

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

But then you already knew this right?

~Becky

rubytica
on 7/13/11 9:31 am - GA
I am taking the BA iron twice a day.  Thanks for the advise, I am just new to vitamins as all I used to take was a multi vitamin daily.
airbender
on 7/13/11 9:23 am
you will not become deficient in a few weeks,  the question of continuing with what you are taking is most likely in time you will become deficent, you should let your blood work dictate your vit/min intake, while you don't want to become deficient you also don't want to over consume certain vitamins (ie vit A which can interfer with bone resorption, metabolic bone disease etc ) which could become disasterous.  start with the AACE guidelines then adjust via blood work to accomodate your specific needs....
Poodles
on 7/13/11 9:32 am - TX

The nurse at my doctors office thought I was stupid for taking so many pills (Vitalady's schedule), yet she says my labs look perfect.  They have been within normal range since surgery.  The only exception was I needed to add some D and some Citrate.   But not near the deficiencies others see.

I say look at the history on the boards.  Most people do well with Vitalady's schedule and recommend it.  If they start out doing what their doctors say (chewable children's vitamins/such) they soon switch to Vitalady's schedule or beg for her help when they end up on the brink of death because of deficiencies.

You can always reduce a vitamin if you end up taking too much... but it is hard to catch back up if you take too little and you often have "issues" that you might not be able to recover from.  So, I say over kill is best until proven otherwise.

Just my opinion though.  I am not a doctor... but keep it in mind even the doctors on learning with the DS and I would rather trust someone that has lived with the surgery and helped hundreds of others with problems for 15+ years like Vitalady than a doctor that is just taking an educated "guess".

Heck, even my doctor updated his information 2 weeks after my surgery... and I have heard he is continually updating his DS information based on what his patients say.

And if you are just worried about the cost, you can get some vitamins from other sites (swanson's vitamins.com, vitaminshoppe.com, etc)  But Vitalady's stuff is high quality and high doses and she has samples of proteins to try before you invest in a huge tub.    I personally buy from various places but always get my ADEK, Iron, and protein from her.

HTH

Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

happydsr
on 7/13/11 2:31 pm, edited 1/28/12 12:57 am
beemerbeeper
on 7/14/11 2:02 am - AL
I was glad to see your doc recommending 3k of calcium a day.  I've been taking 3600 for a long time now and plan to continue at that dose.  I'm just not going to risk my bones when a few more pills might make a huge difference. 

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views