Proton Pump Inhibitor such as Prilosec post-op?

no_more_rolls
on 7/13/11 10:27 pm - Jackson, MI
Hi.  I've always thought that Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Prilosec were given to patients that have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or stomach ulcers.  Does anyone know why DS patients are given these medications post-op?

I very seldom had heartburn pre-op maybe a couple times a year and never had to take anything like this before.  I've searched the forums, found some good info that these can actually cause deficiencies over time...but nothing specifically why it's given post-op.  I hate to keep calling the surgeon's office every single time I think of another question...besides with any luck someone here might know, I hope 

Also...Is this something that as DS'er we may take indefinately?  Did you have those issues pre-op too?

THANKS!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

newyorkbitch
on 7/13/11 11:31 pm
People's experiences vary.  Some people develop reflux after the DS, some people don't,  some people who had reflux pre-op get better,  some don't.    I had reflux before the DS,  the DS did not fix it,  and I have been taking prilosec for 10 years with no problems whatsoever.  I'm assuming that your surgeon is being proactive and cautious and wants to be sure that reflux does not become an issue for you during your recovery period.  IMHO,  it's a good idea.

KarenFlorida
on 7/13/11 11:36 pm - Orlando, FL
My surgeon gave me Prevacid 30mg once a day for one month after surgery. I am now 5 weeks out and I am still taking it because I have noticed that I now get reflux symptoms if I don't take it (I never had reflux pre-op). Hoping it will improve with time, but for now I'm staying on the medicine.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

teachmid
on 7/14/11 12:34 am - OKC, OK
I didn't have a problem before surgery. I was started on Pepcid on discharge from the hospital but was miserable. The surgeon added Nexium. I'm 7 months out and only take Nexium now.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Julie R.
on 7/14/11 12:50 am - Ludington, MI
Reflux is pretty common in new-ops.   It has something to do, I believe, with the new configuration with the stomach.    VSG'ers, who have really tiny stomachs, have higher amounts of it.    Dr. K gave me Prevacid first, then Nexium.  It worked like a charm, and I only needed it for about six months post-op.   Now, I NEVER have reflux unless I drink wine.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Katester
on 7/14/11 2:24 am
My surgeon (did each surgery but the DS, I have the VSG) told me that the part of the stomach that makes the acid is removed. I find that hard to believe because I had heartburn from hell...daily. He gave me reglan because he swore I was having stomach spasms. I knew it was heartburn and went against his orders and got omeprazole from my PCP. I took it daily like clockwork for 6 months. When I stopped taking it, I got re-bound acid which was worse than the regular heartburn I was having. After alot of research, I found out you have to wean yourself off of these types of pills. It took a good 6 weeks to wean myself but now I take a PPI if I am going out drinking or having mexican food. The PPI does mess with absorbtion of some vitamins and minerals, but my PCP said short term malabsorbing compared to chronic acid in the stomach that will eventually lead to an ulcer...the PPI won. I'm almost 1 year post op and don't take my PPI now.
dgb123
on 7/14/11 12:53 am - Fairfax, VA
My surgeon has his patients take Prilosec for the first two weeks, then switch to Zantac. Under advice from my internist, I have continued on Prilosec to help with nausea issues. (I'm 3 1/2 months out.) I am going to try to switch to Zantac this week.

a_new_mii
on 7/14/11 1:35 am - AZ
I think my Dr.  prescribes on a preventative basis also.  I did not have any issues pre-op, Iron stomach really.   I'm almost three and a half months out and am still on omeprazole "prilosec". Tried to go off at the 12 week mark, but started having upset tummy and noisy bowels again.  Went back on, and the problems disappeared.  I think it's a person by person situation.  
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Heather E.
on 7/14/11 6:08 am
I had bad GERD before my DS, and I have bad GERD after.  It really does vary from person to person.  I have been taking Prilosec daily for years, and now sometimes I even have to take a Zantac here and there for breakthrough reflux.  I am also prone to gastritis, so the Zantac is really more of a preventative measure to help keep me from having a full-blown gastritis attack.  But this is just me - I know a lot of DSers personally who don't have any issues at all and don't take PPIs.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 284 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 756 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views