Thinking about going from lapband to DS

jla734
on 7/14/11 3:19 am - DE
Hi all,
  I have the Realize band. Surgery was almost 3 years ago.I no longer have sleep apnea.I am 5 ft 4.25 inches and weigh 172. I have ALOT of muscle so look more like 150. People always tell me I look great. Thats not my problem. My MAJOR problem is no matter how much I exercise and I do eat healthy I am "stuck" at this weight. Also my fasting glucose is still higher then normal.My last A1c was 5.8 but fasting was still like 130.
  My doctors office doesnt perform the DS. Also I dont know if I would qualify because of my BMI. I org wanted this DS because I had heard about the huge success with this procedure. While I wouldnt say I am a failed lap band patient I should only weigh 145 tops.

Janine P.
on 7/14/11 4:00 am - Long Island, NY
You'll never catch me saying one bad thing about the DS.  However...

Having a revision to a DS to lose 50 pounds is a little extreme in my opinion.  The DS is a major life change and I understand you're frustrated. But you would be in a super high class category of "Lightweights" if you've only got 50 pounds to lose.

Do some major thinking, read read read your butt off about the DS and what is involved with the DS life, and then decide.

I had a lap band for over 3 years.  I promise I know how frustrating the band can be.  Have you been tracking your calories?  Have you tried bumping your calories up? Down? Have you bumped up your exercise? 

Again, I'm not saying the DS is a bad decision but a revision is a big deal.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 5:00 am - TX
Ditto what Janine said, I am awaiting revision from lapband to DS, but I can't imagine a surgeon or insurance for that matter covering such an extreme surgery for only 50lbs......but what do I know!
jla734
on 7/14/11 7:44 am - DE
Hi,
  Yikes,I really only need to drop maybe 30 lbs more.I am currently 172. So are what you all are to to explain is I could pos lose too much weight with this? Do you still need to lose alot? My one doc said the BMI isnt always accurate for people like me because I do have alot of muscle and it weighs more then fat.
  May I check your profile for your info?I am older 44 and concened about waiting to long for such a major surgery.According to the BMI chart I am still obese.

jla734
on 7/14/11 7:54 am - DE
Kristi,
  Just looked at your profile page. I dont understand why your Tricare wont cover you?Your BMI is still really high. It doesnt make sense. I dont know what happened with your band but maybe it had a problem that is NOT your fault. I would keep bugging Tricare. I hope you can win this.I do everything I am supposed to do with my realize band but am still "stuck".
  I will keep you in prayer and congrats for being far braver then I. I am such a baby VBG.Tell your hubby I said thanks for serving our country.

jla734
on 7/14/11 7:36 am - DE
  Well my main concern is the type 2 diabetes. I was wondering if it were pos to only do part of the DS where they simply switch the intestines?I think I read somewhere that over in Europe that they will do the ds partly to help reverse diabetes.I am already exercising like crazy and also weight lift. If any of you check my profile pics you can see what I currently look like in the last pic with the red dress.
  I am also doing Malibu pilates chair workout. It IS helping ALOT. Thats the best 10.00 bucks I ever plooped down at the local Goodwil.My muscles were very buky before now they are starting to transform in a more lean look.
  There is a story on this forum right now that kinda scares me. It says a women had this surgery and now she has to be tube fed.Geez just getting the lap band scared me.VBG

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 8:08 am
I am having a panic attack thinking about poor Martina.  Praying hard for her.

That being said, I have a band and am considering a revision.  I was considered a "lightweight" when I started.  My highest weight ever was 245 and my surgery weight was 226.  With the band, I got down to 191. 

However, I now realize I got to that weight IN SPITE OF the band, not because of it.  I was a lunatic, I dieted and exercised like a maniac.  I had some marital issues and that HELPED me lose weight because I was so stressed I couldn't eat at all.  Then, my hubby and I worked things out and all the weight started to creep back.  

You see, I couldn't keep going with the frantic dieting and exercising long term.  I did it for 2 years, but that's all I could do.  Just like every other diet in my life, I would drop a few pounds, get excited and the excitement would carry me through.  But eventually, I would start eating fairly normal meals and the weight would creep back.  Then I had my moment of, pardon my English here,  "F$CK IT!  I'm going to be fat forever anyway" and then I couldn't get the carbs in fast enough.  Before I could even blink, I gained back most of my weight and am only 6lbs away from what I was when I had surgery.  

I tell you this only to help you examine where you are in this journey.  If the band is working and you're not as thin as you'd like, that's not reason enough to have such drastic surgery.  Work with your doctor, adjust your eating and keep trying.  50lbs is not a drop in the bucket, I know, but think of the risks.  Is it worth it for 50lbs?  You might be able to live a relatively "normal" and healthy life at your current weight.  You didn't mention if you are eating a low carb diet.  If not, try that as it may help with your blood sugar and band restriction.  Try to work with your nutritionist and ask yourself if you have hit a plateau that is making you frustrated or is this the only option for your health.  I think when you answer that question, you'll probably have the answer about your revision too.

In my research I did find something about doing part of the DS for diabetes but I believe that is still experimental in the United States.  Could DEFINITELY be wrong though, so keep researching on this.  

I wish you much luck as you start this journey - wherever it may lead. 

C

jla734
on 7/14/11 8:40 am, edited 7/14/11 8:41 am - DE
Cyndi,
  Wow I think I may have met my twin!!!This sounds EXACTLY like me regarding the diet and exercise.I workout out ALL the time. Its almost like an addiction. I walk at least 5 miles a day racewalking and then I also lift weights. I step on the scales prob 3 times a day. Its crazy because before surgery I didnt care that much about what I weighed because I KNEW I WAS eating right for a diabetic and there was no way pos for me to bump u my exercise to more then the 10 miles a day I was doing.BTW,I was also a lightweight.
  Since my surgery EVERYONE tells me I look great but then they ask about my weight. As soon as I say I am at 172 they are shocked and always reply no way.This is a constant question I get from people.I dont want to be rude to people but sometimes I feel like asking THEM what do you weigh.BTW,its only around 30 lbs I need to lose but as I stated earlier the blood sugar is my main concern and if I could find out if you could just get the rerouting portion of the DS I would be soo happy.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 9:28 am
Gail,

I'll keep my eyes open for the diabetes info that I found before.  If it comes up again, I'll let you know.  You are NOT being rude by not telling someone your weight - THEY are being rude for asking!  Oh my gosh, I would DIE if someone asked me what I weighed!  I would simply say, with the sweetest smile I could muster "Now, a lady doesn't ever tell her age or her weight" and change the subject.  

Don't let other people define your success.  You look great.  Period.  Talk to your doctor about your concern regarding your blood sugar.  But also try to talk to your therapist about your workouts.  You could be in an unhealthy cycle that sounds like an addiction transfer. 

If it's 30 lbs, sorry I misread it the first time, I doubt you'd find a doctor to revise the band unless you begin having issues being so close to your goal weight.

Know that with the band, there are limitations.  Work the tool the best you can and I hope you get some answers about your diabetes. 

Hugs and prayers coming your way!!!!

C
jla734
on 7/14/11 12:39 pm - DE
  Thanks for the encouragement. I really need it right now. Weight can be so hard to control when there are other health factors involved. I loved the article someone posted about did the surgery fail the patient or the other way around.The DS IS the ideal for type 2 diabetics as far as the research I have done. I read that we lack something that helps us to convert our food properly and that the DS takes care of that. I will talk to my doctor and ask him if I could just get the reroute. Maybe the lapband could still be of use for the restrictive part and the reroute to help with the sugar issues.
  I wish there was a doctor on here that could chime in.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views