Flagyl question

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 10:00 pm - Yorktown, VA
I think it's time for me to do a round.  The gas and smell have gotten worse for no apparent reason.  So, is it 500mg 2 or 3 times a day and is it for 15 days?

Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 12:49 am - San Jose, CA

The second time, I did 500 mg twice a day for 10 days.  This caused a 100% improvement DURING the course, and although the gas is back a bit and my poop is now back to 80% of the pre-Flagyl smell, overall it has been a major improvement that has now lasted about 2 months.  Even a splurge the other night of frozen lasagne (usually a major source of grotesque gas) and garlic bread only caused a moderate episode.

I will confess that I asked the doctor for 500 mg THREE times a day, so I would have some backup pills just in case I started having problems again and had to fly or attend a meeting on short notice, but I haven't touched them yet.

HOWEVER, it is getting slightly worse over the last couple of weeks (a couple of bouts of unexplained late afternoon - early evening bloat NOT accompanied by much farting, and when I was finally able to fart, it didn't reek), so I'm going to try changing up my probiotics before even considering resortinng to another round of Flagyl. 

I continue to be concerned about the "abuse" potential of Flagyl - I don't want to develop antibiotic resistent bugs, and I don't want to use it to be able to eat crap - the need to avoid carbs to avoid farting is a relatively strong incentive for me to my "TiVo" strategy of only eating them in the evenings, which keeps my overall consumption of carbs down.

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 3:48 am - London, United Kingdom
Have you tried Devrom?  They advertise it on here and I'm just curious as to whether it's any good.
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 4:04 am - San Jose, CA
Devrom is bismuth subgallate, which is an internal deoderant.  It does not prevent gas, just prevents the smell.  It is not an antibiotic, like Flagyl, which addresses the actual issue of bacterial overgrowth, which can have other repercussions such as autoimmune responses, leaky gut syndrome, etc.  To me, the odor and gas is a sign that the guts are out of balance for some reason, and covering up the smell is not the answer.

I am also concerned that chronic usage may interfere with fat soluble vitamins or other micronutrients (I have no basis for this, other than wondering if there is also charcoal in it), as well as bismuth being a heavy metal.  HOWEVER - for people who have no other option, I'm glad it works.
beemerbeeper
on 7/15/11 3:33 am - AL
www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/2450-Fish-Zole.aspx

That is the least expensive fish zole I can find today.  17.09 plus 6.99 shipping.  That is a lot cheaper than an MD co-pay for me plus I have had MDs not want to prescribe it.

I have some but am going to order this because for some reason a few months ago it was totally unavailable both human prescription and from pet stores.  I don't want to ever be without it, even tho I only take it occasionally.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 7:30 am - Yorktown, VA

Thanks for the link!

Did you notice that fish zole forte is the same thing, but 500mg instead of 250?  That is a better deal.

beemerbeeper
on 7/15/11 8:53 am - AL
I"ve never taken more than 250 twice a day so I just got the regular.  I guess I could have sliced those 500s tho.

~B

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 10:29 am - OH
Ok...I was lurking and saw the Fish Zole. What the heck is this stuff???  It's for fish isn't it? 
beemerbeeper
on 7/15/11 11:23 am - AL
It is the antibiotic called flagyl.

~Becky

yorkieGal
on 7/15/11 10:56 pm - Clermont, FL
hey you guys, sorry I've been MIA lately, i've been in London with family for 3 weeks. While I was there i agreed to go on a trip to Barcelona and the pyrenees when i go back in august...Great except that I will be going in a group and will have to share a room with my best friend (who doesnt know about the surgery and is pretty anti WLS - hence we have not discussed mine as yet), and will have to share a bathroom (OMG!!!).

Would you all takea dose of flagyl for the 6 days and maybe a few days before to help with the smell. My morning bathroom visit could be v scary to non Ds'ers (I can control the gas pretty much with my food intake). I want to go but the worry about the BM smell is putting me off the idea.....

Love Yorkie x 

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views