Anyone ever need rehab center post-op?

grisaille
on 7/15/11 2:04 am - NC
As someone in process of getting insurance coverage for DS, I am concerned about self-care post-op.  I don't live on my own but my husband is in a wheelchair.  He is able to take care of himself and drive . . . But I'll be taking care of myself post-op and didn't know if home care would be okay.  When I had my new knee put in a couple of years ago, they put me in a rehab center.  Does it depend on open and lap surgery? 
beemerbeeper
on 7/15/11 2:25 am - AL
Unless you have some horrible complication you will be able to take care of yourself.  Do you have to take care of your husband?  You won't be able to lift or drive for some period of time.

I had no help in the hospital or once I got home except I did have someone to drive to go get scripts filled and pick up things I thought I would want to try to eat/drink.  Do you have anyone who can run errands for you (or better yet TAKE you to run errands)?

There isn't much difference in recovery between open and lap that I can see.  You'll be walking and sipping and resting.  And that is really a full time job.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 7/15/11 2:32 am - Burlington County, NJ

Most people do fine without need for a rehab center. It would be an option if you had any untoward complications, though. (Stuff that takes longer than an extra day or two in the hospital to resolve, I mean.)

If all you have to take care of is your basic personal needs, that's doable. You need to be able to get to the bathroom and the kitchen, stand/sit/lie down (you could sleep in a recliner if needed for a couple days, I suppose, or rent a power adjustable bed if you have space for it--that's what I did, but I was very impaired preop), and eventually into the shower.

It's a whole different ballgame from a joint replacement. If you have an open procedure, the incision will be in your upper abdomen, and while that will be sore, it will hinder movement less than you might think. There are some tricks you can do to make getting up and down easier.

grisaille
on 7/15/11 2:39 am - NC
No, my husband is pretty self-sufficient.  He does the driving and we have a Honda Element and he can get his own wheelchair in behind his seat.  He can do small grocery shops and can do cooking.  We expect he will eat out immediately post-op.  I have some local friends who will help with larger grocery shopsping but I am limiting who I am telling about the surgery so I don't want to get my church's helping program involved. 
Elizabeth N.
on 7/15/11 3:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
Assuming a normal recovery, you should do fine.

grisaille
on 7/15/11 11:31 am - NC
Thanks for the info . . . I had read someone was supposed to be with you as a baby post-op but now assume that is because of being on pain meds and being post-anesthesia
Elizabeth N.
on 7/15/11 11:34 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's not a great idea to be *alone* as a baby postop, in case you get into problems and the doc or emergency services need to be alerted. But people do quite all right without someone waiting on them. I was spoiled and had lots of help, and needed a lot of the help that I got. But most people are not nearly as disabled as I was.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views