Advice needed on which loan to get!

kathie09
on 7/18/11 3:08 am - not available
Dear DS Friends

I have been trying to find a good loan for the DS, and am so confused. Have any of you found a great lender that doesn't have a high interest rate? I will need to borrow around $25K to get this done, and I'm so worried that I will bankrupt my family. Our credit scores are not great. They were for years, and then we got stuck with two homes that are each worth less than we owe on them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
kathie09
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 3:35 am - Lancaster, OH
Hi, Kathie,
I borrowed from the Bank of "Mom", so, not much help there.
I'm surprised that it will take $25,000, though.  You still planning to go to Dr. M?  I knew that he was more than Dr. Ungson, but I didn't think it was that much.  Also, have you looked for places that do medical loans?  Hope you are able to work it out.
kathie09
on 7/18/11 4:23 am - not available
Caprice!

Oh that the "Bank of Mom" was an option. My parents originally told me that they would fund the surgery (with payback options, and I was totally fine with that) and then one month before I was scheduled to go they withdrew their offer. They cited their reasoning as "worried that I was making a crazy decision to go to another country to have this surgery". Long story. No longer an option.

I looked at all of Dr. M's numbers, and the $25K would cover:
Travel for 2 people to Brazil (the cheapest ticket I've been able to find round trip is $1400 per person - the high would be around $2200 per person)

The cost of the hotel for about 15 days

The cost of a Lap DS - appx $17000

And then a bit of a buffer for unexpected expenses

I know, pricey huh? I know it will be worth it though. I have also looked into Dr. Kemmeter (I think that is the spelling) and he is around $20K plus expenses. Dr Peters was similar in pricing (the last time I checked)

Do you think I need to adjust my numbers? Let me know what you think. I am open to your input
kathie09
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 5:26 am - Lancaster, OH
I'm so sorry that your original financial plans fell through.  Do you have a feeling that was an excuse, or that they would be open to feedback on "out of country" surgery experiences?  (Since many of us have gone to Mexico, Brazil and Spain for our DS's, and are VERY pleased with our surgical experiences).
Concerning your calculations: it's none of my business, really, and I'm so glad you weren't offended that I asked (after I "sent" the message, I wondered if I was being presumptuous)  It sounds like you've thought it out pretty thoroughly.
(Oh, and airfare sucks right now)
kathie09
on 7/18/11 1:30 pm - not available
Caprice

If my parents ever are open to it, I will certainly let you know. I really appreciate your offer.

And....I don't have long toes, so it is not easy to step on them. No offense taken.

Airfare sucks big time. Wish I had some SERIOUS frequent flier miles
kathie09
Fade2Pink
on 7/18/11 5:56 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Kathie!  Hello my gorgeous friend.  No help with the finances, but am excited to see that you are moving forward on your DS.  I hope things work out.  I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

kathie09
on 7/18/11 1:27 pm - not available
Thanks Maria!~ Didn't you self pay as well? If so, did you take out a 401K loan, or did you use another lender? How are you????
kathie09
Fade2Pink
on 7/18/11 2:37 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
I'm doing good.  We need to do a get-together! 

I did self pay with Dr. Simper, about 28k.  I was lucky enough to have that much in my savings.  It took a huge chunk though out of my life's savings, so I am now trying to build that back up.  Sometimes I cannot believe I spent that much money on myself, but then again, who better to spend it on, to give me the chance at good health?!

I, too, have used Care Credit and they were good to work with.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

DianaRR
on 7/18/11 9:53 am - CA
I don't know if they do loans in that amount, but care credit (you can find it online) is for medical/dental loans and they have been great with me on some very expensive dental work.
kathie09
on 7/18/11 1:27 pm - not available
Thanks Diana! I will look into Credit Care tomorrow. I really appreciate your advice!
kathie09
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views