Yay! Surgeon's Consult moved up to this Friday!

Sher Bear Mama
on 7/18/11 5:17 am
So I was supposed to see the Kaiser surgeon on August 12th.  It is my first consult with a surgeon who (according to Bookfaerie and at least one other OH member) doesn't like doing the DS.  Unfortunately, he seems to be the only Kaiser surgeon in the SO Cal area that will do the DS.  The surgical center called me up today and asked if I wanted to meet Friday (THIS FRIDAY!) instead.  It throws me off a little because I have a consult to meet with Dr. Keshishian on August 1st.  I was supposed to meet with Keshishian to get a letter of rec for the DS and then present it to Belzberg (Kaiser's surgeon) to help convince him to give me the surgery.  Now, I won't be able to do that.  But the good news is, that I can get the visit over sooner and if he denies me then I can go to Keshishian second and then send that info into the DMHC and then bill Kaiser for reimbursement for the second consult outside the Kaiser network.  If I went to Keshishian first, I'd have no hope of getting paid back the $300 I'll spend on Keshishian.  In any case, I'm excited, nervous, apprehensive, scared.  Bookfaerie is supposed to join me on the August 12th visit so I hope she is available this Friday instead.  I'll have a 2 hour drive at 6:30 am! Yikes!  But I'm so excited to get started on this journey sooner rather than later. I'm expecting a rejection--but hoping for the best because I KNOW if I keep on the this course, I WILL get my surgery and I WILL get healthy SOON!!!! 

Forgive the rambling. I'm just so excited and thankful to have found all of the vets here on the DS board.  You've all be quite informative and helpful.  Looking forward to more support and info as I continue through the potential grievance process.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

pam_b
on 7/18/11 10:03 am
Hi Sheri
I have an appointment Friday with Dr. K. too maybe we will meet .
Pam
Sher Bear Mama
on 7/18/11 10:56 am
Hi Pam! Your appointment is this Friday with Dr. Keshishian? If so, then I won't be seeing you :-(. I have the appointment THIS Friday with Belzberg through Kaiser and then Monday August 1st with Keshishian.  Would have liked to have seen you!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

larra
on 7/18/11 11:36 am - bay area, CA
Hey, you're moving right along. I don't think whether or not you have a letter from Dr. K would make a difference, I think what you have to say for yourself is the key. And you know your stuff.

Larra
Sher Bear Mama
on 7/18/11 11:48 am
Thanks Larra.  I just figured if he knew I had a back up--someone who had already said he'd do it, then he'd be more likely to agree.  That being said, I think that if he denies me, then I'll let him know I've already scheduled my appointment with Keshishian and that I'll be appealing to the DMHC.  Perhaps that could sway him.  Of course I'll butter him up by telling him how much I want to have HIM do it, not Keshishian.  But we'll see.  I'm hoping Laura (Bookfaerie) will be a good influence on me there as well.  BUt I'm confident that this surgery is the one for me.  Especially with my diabetes, familial history of stomach cancer, need for NSAIDS, etc. I think he'll have a hard time arguing with me--but one never knows!

Wish me luck! I'm so glad it's all moving along so quickly.  I have a psych appointment on Thursday this week (a day before Belzberg)--it's an intake appointment so I can get a Psychiatrist to monitor my anti-depressants.  I thought I'd bring up to them the whole bariatric surgery and see if they'd clear me.  If not, we'll see what happens because Laura never had to get a psych clearance.  So we'll see what happens.

:-)
Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views