For those that take miralax...

Jade ..
on 7/16/11 4:29 am - GA
 When do you take it?  I'm taking stool softeners 3-4 times a day and added miralax a couple of days ago but it doesn't seem to be helping at all.  I've been taking it at night but now I'm wondering if I need to switch to taking it in the morning.  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 5:38 am
 Sometimes it takes several days to get started. 
I take it in the evening if I need it. Are you taking the correct amount? 
Jade ..
on 7/16/11 12:36 pm - GA
 I'm taking the amount they say to on the bottle.  Should it be more?

KathyA999
on 7/16/11 6:25 am
As the PP said, it might take a few days to "kick in" so to speak.  I take a capful of Miralax every morning in my tea, but I don't think the time of day matters so much, as taking it consistently.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Jade ..
on 7/16/11 12:37 pm - GA
 I'm going to try it in the morning and load up on the stool softeners at night for a couple days and see where that gets me.

mquirkygirl
on 7/16/11 10:08 am, edited 7/16/11 10:09 am - New York City, NY
With Miralax, I was taking two capfuls in the morning, two capfuls at night.  It never worked for me.

Right now I take 200mg colace everyday, 24mcg Amitiza 2x a day, Celexa 10mg 1x a day, and Xifaxin 550mg 3x a week or so for my IBS-C.  I have to use Fleet liquid glycerin suppositories 1-2x a day as well.

Does mag citrate (liquid) work for you?  My roommate is a normie and whenever she gets stuck, she does a bottle of mag citrate and it works for her.  Doesn't work for me.

If I get really REALLY stuck, I have a standing order for Nu-Lytely (bowel prep.)  Thankfully I only have to do that every couple of months or so.

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Kayla B.
on 7/16/11 11:07 am - Austin, TX
I still realllllly want you to get an MRI defecogram to test for a rectocele or pelvic floor prolapse.  Most helpful test I ever had done.

Once I found out about the prolapse, I went to a urogynecologist that referred me to a physical therapist and the PT and biofeedback helped incredibly.  Not a 100% cure...I still needed glycerin suppositories everyday, but I didn't need to take any laxatives by mouth.  Since my tummy tuck, a lot of my abdominal laxity has improved and I am able to use my abs a lot better for BMs.  My PS explained to me that it's like trying to stop a horse with reigns that are too loose.  You pull and pull and pull, but there's too much slack to do anything.   70% of people report significant improvements with the biofeedback...I really hope you'll try it.  You'll be happy to know they do it for IBS and constipation ALL the time!

I still feel like I have a lazy colon, predominantly in the transverse colon, as today I ate too much fat and I just hear it and feel it a gurglin' away in my upper abdomen for hours on end.   But once I am well recovered from the TT, I'm going to discuss a way to get this properly diagnosed.  I'm also going back to PT to have her help me continue to strengthen my abs.  It really, really helped me and I hate for you to still be going through this.

In March and April...I wanted to die.  I am doing so much better now.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
marriedmom
on 7/18/11 2:47 am - Middleville, MI
Kayla,
It sounds like I may have the same thing you are talking about. I am wondering if I have a lazy colon, or prolapsed pelvic floor because I always have to splint myself in order to go (sorry,tmi)
Its not hard stool, just wont move along!
I am currently taking 4 stool softners a day and I "go" a couple times a day.. it just takes alot of effort! The bathroom issues are the only "complaint" I have right now, with my DS and just tryng to get input on what to do next.
I do have a colonscopy coming up in Sept because there was blood in my stool and they want to rule out any problems. I'm sure the hemorrhoids/anal fissure are contributing as well.
If you have any thoughts, I would appreciate it!

thanks

Barb
  5'1.5  HW 280 pre-op 270  GW 150  CW 147

Kayla B.
on 7/18/11 3:00 am - Austin, TX
Pretty much decribes my problem.  Don't even get me started on the confused looks I get from doctors..."Soo...I'm constipated, but it's not hard.  And well, I go everyday...but not the full amount"

They just look at me like I am complaining about nothing.  I fired the GI that blamed my DS and said "oh sorry, just deal with it."

I would say...if you're splinting, you probably have a rectocele at the vey least.  It's when the "wall" between the vagina and rectum gets weak and the rectum pushes into the vagina, so essentially by pushing back on it through your vagina, you're making a little temporary repair that helps you go.

A urogynecologist is the name of the doctor that specializes in pelvic floor prolapse and the physical therapist will be a pelvic PT.  They are the ones that help with bladder control issues, and may operate out of a urology office (mine does).

Prolapse/rectoceles can be diagnosed by a physical exam, but I had the MRI defecogram diagnose mine.  My GI knew I had an "outlet" problem because I was complaining of feeling like I have to go to the bathroom, but then I'd sit down and push and nothing would come out, and the defecogram basically watches you while you simulate having a BM while the MRI takes images and watches what your muscles do as you are straining.  And they can give you an actual measurement of the severity of the issue.  Most rectoceles are in the 2-3 cm range and don't give people many symptoms.  Mine is 5-6 centimeters.

I'll warn you, it's a pretty invasive test.  Results have been very helpful for me though.

I'm still kinda on the fence about whether to repair the rectocele and pelvic floor problem surgically.  I researched the transvaginal surgical mesh used, and while the scientific literature says it isn't a problem for very many women, based on the sheer volume of anecdotal complaints you can find about it, I'm not so sure.  Still looking into it.  I hope you get the answers you need.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Jade ..
on 7/16/11 12:47 pm - GA
 I'm wondering if it will end up working for me or not.  I'm on day four and I haven't seen much change.  I'm going to try it for 30 days and see where it gets me.  Since I'm pregnant, I'm kinda stuck on what I can take right now but I'll bookmark this to talk to my colon guy once I'm done.  Yeah, the liquid mag cit has worked for me in the past, but not sure I can take it right now.  When I see him on Friday, we'll see if I can take that too.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views