Another co-morbidity pops up, and one more month to go..

beth-28
on 7/17/11 12:44 pm, edited 7/17/11 12:45 pm

I have one more month of supervised diet with my PCP. And a new co-morbidity has reared it's ugly head, high blood pressure. When I went to my doctor's office last week, it was 189/98. Now on BP meds.  ~sigh~ I am so ready for this surgery. I know it is not a magic cure-all, but to have it as a tool (or as I really like to think of it..as a weapon against weight, diabetes, and now HBP..). Well, you all know what I mean. I have my last 2 tests this week (H. Pylori, and UGI) and the days can't pass by fast enough. (Can you tell that patience is not one of my virtues?)

Ah well, it will all be worth it in the end.

edited for spelling...

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Julie R.
on 7/17/11 12:46 pm - Ludington, MI
 Yes, it will be worth it, and I'll bet your blood pressure will go by the wayside almost immediately.    A few people have persistent issues, but for most, it's gone, gone, gone!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Lynda D.
on 7/17/11 4:35 pm
 You know, this might sound crazy, but I think sometimes it's a good thing if you have health issues prior to weight loss surgery. It makes you more appreciative of the new lease on life wls can give. It also gives greater motivation, I think, to succeed after surgery. Once you've been there, and done that, you'll have no desire to go back to obesity.

There was someone here I talked to awhile ago who was quite angry with how hard she had to fight to keep herself healthy after her wls. Prior to her surgery she had, in her words, "no health problems, was just tired of being fat." Now she has to struggle for her health and she wishes she'd just stayed obese.

As if she would be able to STAY obese and healthy. Riiight...

While it sucks to have co-morbidities, at least you will know for certain that what you have to contend with after surgery will be so much better than what you had to fight before surgery. 

Just my random thoughts. Take care,

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

Chad M.
on 7/17/11 11:01 pm - Indianapolis, IN
You're right--that does sound crazy.
Chad M.
on 7/17/11 11:03 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I understand the feeling. My BP was not as high as yours, but still quite high and barely controlled while on two different BP meds. It runs normal to slightly low now.

I like the weapon description! A lot of us, me included, bristle at the "tool" talk...not because the DS isn't a tool (it is), but because it makes us sound like the RNY'ers with their "let's go on a diet" approach to their tools.
larra
on 7/18/11 1:10 am - bay area, CA
The DS as a weapon - I love that!
     With the high BP coming on so shortly before your surgery, I think the prospects that it will go away soon after surgery are very strong. 
      Your day is almost here. Hang in there!

Larra
Nicolle
on 7/18/11 2:02 am
Consider this new diagnosis a blessing. My Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea were newly-diagnosed when I was in the run-up to my DS surgery and that only steeled my resolve to get the DS. Once I heard that awful news, I never looked back. My DS was definitely not for vanity's sake. My obesity was officially killing me.

Just take care of yourself in the meantime. That BP is awfully high.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Lynda D.
on 7/18/11 6:34 pm
"Consider this new diagnosis a blessing. My Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea were newly-diagnosed when I was in the run-up to my DS surgery and that only steeled my resolve to get the DS. Once I heard that awful news, I never looked back. My DS was definitely not for vanity's sake. My obesity was officially killing me."

You said it exactly, Nicolle.

You don't regret the fact that you have to take multiple supplements everyday, because you know what the alternative is. You know that constantly having to monitor you nutrition is much preferable to monitoring your blood sugar and watching diabetes ravage your body. 

This person I talked to didn't have health problems before surgery, and wasn't used to having to be so careful in the care of her body. She felt the demands of her DS wasn't worth the rewards. And she was angry. And she felt cheated, and she didn't want to do the work.

Your new diagnosis, Beth, is proof that having surgery is the right thing to do, and that you are having surgery before it's too late for your health. You won't ever wonder if you're doing the right thing for yourself. You'll know you are.

Yup, like Nicolle, I think this diagnosis is a blessing in disguise. I'm excited to see your progress and I think your high blood pressure will disappear once you lose some weight. 

For what it's worth,

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

beth-28
on 7/18/11 4:31 am
Thanks for all the support everyone! I guess I'll look at it like, "Hey, one more reason for the insurance company to (hopefully) approve me on the first application!" Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views