Protein tablets/caplets

Justin K.
on 7/18/11 2:15 am - Grand Island, NE
I'm getting to the point where I'm giving up on protein that I can stomach through any liquid form, as I have to taste it in all it's nastyness.

I wondered if there were any proteins that I could take in pill form, which apparently there are.  I found some that were relatively inexpensive, and 2200mg (2.2g) per tablet.  Suggested use is to take 3-4 after each meal, which would be 6.6-8.8g each 'serving', which would push another 27ish grams a day.

Now I already eat a lot of protein normally, eggs, bacon, beef jerky, chicken, etc; This would just be supplimenting my standard protein intake.

Has anyone had any experience with protein pills?  Generally is it non-collegen (sp?) protein?  Lastly, I believe I need more protein in my diet... is it worth supplimenting this way, at least in your opinion?

Thanks,
Justin
Chad M.
on 7/18/11 2:23 am - Indianapolis, IN
How about protein bars instead?
beemerbeeper
on 7/18/11 2:27 am - AL
Two words:  Cake Shake.

~Becky

teachmid
on 7/18/11 3:24 am - OKC, OK
Like Becky said, the cake shake is great. Have you tried Lori's shake?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Christine X.
on 7/18/11 3:26 am - TX
I've never tried this but the people I've spoken to who have said it was not worth it. They said the protein pills set heavy in their tummies and they feared the were not absorbing all the pills had to offer.

Like Chad said, how 'bout protein bars? I like some of those Adkins bars from time to time.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

Renfairewench
on 7/18/11 4:05 am
Have you tried egg white protein?  I use Jay Robb Vanilla egg white protein. I mix it with some 1/2 and 1/2 and a bit of cream and some hot coffee and add sweetner for taste. I do not get that strange whey aftertaste with it. I love it so much that I look forward to my morning coffee.

I do not like strawberry protein powder as a general rule, but I have Jay Robb whey protein powder. I mix it with a bit of flattened rasberry or other fruit sugar free soda, a little bit of fruit punch crystal lite (packet) and water and shake it up. After it is blended I add ice to it because I find that it doesn't blend well when it's uber cold.  Sometimes I drop it into the bender (it makes it super foamy though) and add ice and some fruit. It's like a smoothie!

90% of my protein comes from food now so I don't really do a lot of protein drinks.  If you keep your protein up with food at 100 grams or more why worry about the expense of protein pills. Plus I have heard that it isn't a well absorbed protein for us.

How are your albumin and pre albumin levels. Those would be a good marker on if you are getting enough protein. Four or above is a good marker for Albumin levels.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Michelle B.
on 7/18/11 7:29 am - Cleveland, OH
I second the jay robb egg white protein.  I couldn't tolerate whey after my surgery...I was get almost constant diarrhea and major rumbly gut for about 6 hours after a protein shake.  Not only that but I hated the taste.  My protein numbers were dropping because I just couldn't eat enough protein.

I mix 1 and a half scoop of unflavored egg white protein in a blender with a little water, heavy cream, and different fruits or flavored syrups.  I actually enjoy and look forward to my morning shake as well.
PattyL
on 7/18/11 10:45 am
 Those nasty shakes aren't for everyone.  How much protein are you eating?  Do you really need more?  The pills just don't have enough bang for the buck, honestly.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views