Back to work on Monday

lisarn
on 7/17/11 2:46 pm - Omaha, NE
Ugh, I've been off work for 7 weeks, and am going back to work on Monday. I really don't want to go back to work!!! Two reasons, I like being home, and I am nervous about eating and drinking enough throughout the day. I'm a nurse, and it is very hard to get a bathroom break, let alone to get something to eat/drink!
Plus I am kinda doing a new job when I go back. I am switching from GI to go to the Surgery dept. And I am officially going to be FT (from PT), but will hardly ever work FT, because our dept has been slowing down (this is happening in the GI dept, and surgeries all over town - another outcome from the economy).
Lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Poodles
on 7/17/11 4:57 pm - TX
I am a teacher, so I know how hard it is to get a break.   Just keep a bottle of water at your desk and take a swig every time you can.

And good luck on your new job!  It should be fun to do new things while becoming the new you!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Sarah_Anne
on 7/17/11 7:49 pm
I highly suggest making a "budget".   This means that every hour you have to have x ammount of water and by 10 am 20g of protien and by 3 pm 45g or something like that.  This gives you attainable mini-goals through out the day.  

Then you work it out on a practical level.  Its possible to do.  Ask your co-workers for help.  Don't be shy.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
nightowl
on 7/17/11 7:57 pm - Topeka, KS
Sending good work vibes your way.
Funny you should mention surgeries being down at your hospital.  My neighbor works in sterilizing surgical instruments at a hospital here in Topeka, and he also said recently that he is pretty worried, because the number of surgeries is down here, too. 
KarenFlorida
on 7/17/11 8:57 pm - Orlando, FL
I'm a surgical person too, and we have definitely observed that people are avoiding or postponing non-emergency surgeries because of the economy. Many folks, even with insurance, end up paying a nice sum out of pocket for surgery. Also, many are afraid to take time off work to have surgery. Hopefully, things will gradually improve.

Lisa, are you working IN the OR, or is it preop or recovery? If you are actually in the OR, you are going to need to ask for some help so you can get quick breaks to get a drink every hour or so. If you are in preop or postop areas, you'll have to stash a drink somewhere accessible and dash over for sips as much as you can. This is what I do (I'm mostly in an office, rarely in the OR these days, although I still have a lot of surgical discussions with patients). My office does not close for lunch, so I can sympathize there, too. Get some small baggies of nuts or jerky or somehing you can pop in your mouth quickly if you are feeling weak and there's no lunch on the horizon. Clif makes a protein bar, clif builders, that is 20g of protein, but it's not for everyone!

Good luck to you! You'll figure out a way. I told my colleagues about my surgery, so they would be more helpful. : - )

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

lisarn
on 7/18/11 11:43 am - Omaha, NE
Karen, yes I am in the OR, so it'll be a challenge. I worked in the OR for about 10 years at the start of my career. I've been doing GI for about 5 years, which is similar, but easier to get food/drinks/snacks due to the quick turnover. I haven't kept it from anyone, but I don't know who all knows. Seems like most everyone knows though, and they are great bunch of people. My manager is going to be good about getting me out if I need it she said today. Thanks for the ideas about the Clif bars, I haven't tried any protein bars yet. I had a slim jim and string cheese with me today.

teachmid
on 7/17/11 10:54 pm - OKC, OK
Lisa,
I remember worrying about eating/drinking/bathroom issues going back to work, and I was in a clinic. Just as other's have said, plan ahead and remember it's a learning curve and expect to be more tired than you expect to begin with. Good luck!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Jody W.
on 7/18/11 6:12 am - Windsor, CT
Hey Lisa,
Were you out for 7 weeks because your DR allowed you to have that time off, or if did you have any complications?  I am asking because I would like to get as much time off as I can ... Just curious on the Max that your surgeon would allow...
Thanks

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

lisarn
on 7/18/11 11:47 am - Omaha, NE
No complications for me at all. If I had a desk job, I know I could have gone back at 3 weeks, no problem. Surgeon really wants people to take off 6 - 8 weeks (he does the DS open). I COULD have gone back at 6 weeks, but I said I wanted one more week, so they gave it to me, no problem. They just said they would saw whenever I wanted to go back, they'd fill out the paperwork within reason. Since I am a nurse doing patient care, I have to be able to lift patients and move equipment, etc. It's a very physical job at times, and I still felt unsure at 6 weeks to go right back into it. 
good luck!
Lisa

Fade2Pink
on 7/18/11 6:19 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Lisa, your going to do just fine!  You have some great advice, so nothing to add other than hang in there!  I hope you are feeling well. 
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 111 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views