Clarification needed on DS and dumping please

no_more_rolls
on 7/17/11 11:43 pm - Jackson, MI
Hello DS vets.  I thought DS'ers were not supposed to dump?  I really need some clarification.  Yesterday I drank 10 ounces of fluid over the course of about an hour.  Granted when I woke up I did not feel the best to begin with, so I thought I needed to get more fluids in since I slept longer than normal.  

Anyways, at the end of the hour my mouth began to salivate and I noticed I felt nauseated.  I got it and before I could make it to the toilet I (I know TMI) threw up.  The episode lasted about a half hour.  I felt very sweaty and weak.  

It ruined my whole day and I slept most of it.  I called my surgeon's office just in case.  I was told it sounded like I took in too much volume too quickly which caused me to become ill and if I had anymore issues to get to the ER just in case.

I've been fine today.  My surgeon's office even called me first thing this morning to see how I'm doing!  I have an appointment on Wednesday.

So, was what happened to me yesterday just a fluke?  Or was that really a dumping issue?  It sounds like dumping even though it was not associated with the things that I've heard some RNYers dump from, like sugar or rice.

Confused?
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Elizabeth N.
on 7/18/11 12:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
That sounds exactly like what happens to me when I eat too much, too fast, even nearly five years out. My stomach has an eject button that prevents overload. It can take a while to eject all the overload, too :-).

Dumping happens when your body perceives a big load to the small intestine, particularly food that enters the intestine not digested enough. Generally this makes your body send a whole bunch of water into your intestine, and the results are miserable.

While anyone *can* dump, a properly functioning pylorus generally keeps that from happening. You are early out from surgery, so yeah, you might be at more risk for this than if you were fully healed. However, as I said above, it sounds a lot more like you just overfilled your stomach and triggered the eject button. It might have simply been your last sip that did it.

Keep sipping slowwwwwwwly. Your guts aren't all the way "awake" and moving smoothly yet, so you have to be cautious. Some people have to be more cautious than others with this. After every sip, take a minute and focus on how your guts feel. If you feel any increased resistance or fullness or pressure in your chest, STOP. Or you might sneeze, get an itchy nose or any of a number of other seemingly unrelated sensations. This is because of how your gut nerves are routed.

no_more_rolls
on 7/18/11 12:14 am - Jackson, MI
Thanks Elizabeth!  So it's more of a volume overload?  That does make sense.  I'll have to try to notice "signals" that I am getting in too much.  The only thing I've noticed is pressure in my chest...but that is seldom and a burp normally makes it feel better.  
Elizabeth N.
on 7/18/11 5:17 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, that pressure is a full signal. Better to stop BEFORE you feel that signal. It means your esophagus is protesting, kinda sorta. With time you'll learn to heed the feeling that comes right before that. This is important because stressing your esophagus is a great way to get reflux, which can become chronic.

Kayla B.
on 7/18/11 12:06 am - Austin, TX
Unless it was sugared juice, you can't dump off jus****er.  Dumping syndrome is from carbohydrate/sugar going into the intestines really quickly, causing an exaggerated endocrine response.  It also pulls a lot of fluid into the intestines because of all the sugar, which can lead to nausea/diarrhea.

I think it was just drinking too quickly as well.  I always salivated a lot when I'd drank/ate too much or too quickly.  I bet you felt a lot better after vomiting.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
no_more_rolls
on 7/18/11 12:10 am - Jackson, MI
No I actually felt horrible after vomiting!  I had 6 ounces of protein chicken broth and about 4 ounces of water.  When you salivated did you vomit afterwards?
Kayla B.
on 7/18/11 12:19 am - Austin, TX
Yes, sometimes after salivating a lot, I would vomit.  I have an intense hatred of vomiting though, so sometimes I'd just sit there, salivating for 30-45 minutes until the pain subsided...spitting it into a trashcan or toilet. 

I just looked at your surgery date...yes, I bet that puking so early out was not, actually, very fun.

In general vomiting would make me feel better though, because it relieved the pressure that was causing all the pain.

I'm glad you are feeling better today.  Just take it slow.

As far as dumping syndrome, a few DSers have struggled with it occasionally.  Definitely not as big of a problem as an RNYer would have, due to preservation of the pylorus.  But don't worry, you did not dump. 
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
no_more_rolls
on 7/18/11 12:53 am - Jackson, MI
Thanks Kayla.  
It sucks that we (DS'ers) still have a risk of vomiting...even though the volume thing does make sense.  That was one of the reasons why I did not want the RNY.  I had horrible hyper-emmesis (excessive vomiting) during my pregnancies that lasted well into the 6th month.  It required hospitalization several times as well as home infusions a couple times a week.  I'm the only woman I've ever known to lose weight during pregnancy and still have 9 pound babies.  I've figured I had my share of puking for a lifetime.  I guess I'm just one of those people with a sensitive stomach...and smells can set me off and make me nauseated too (even not preggers).  I do so hope that a repeat of yesterday does not happen very often. 
beemerbeeper
on 7/18/11 2:16 am - AL
I have only vomited twice since I got the DS.  Once early out from eating too much and once from eating Dreamfields pasta.  Both times were followed by salivating.

I think you just over-filled.  It takes a while to learn when we are full.

I had hyperemisis with my pregnancies to the point of having to be hospitalized both times.  So I know how you feel about vomiting.  But I don't think you have to worry about the DS causing vomiting once you learn your full signals.

~Becky

pycca
on 7/18/11 4:24 am - Haslet, TX
We only are at risk if we do something silly,, like eat too fast, drink too fast, or something too dry.

You are early out and will have to "learn" your signals. MIne are runny nose, hiccups, and gaawwwd forbid I get to the sneezing stage !!! then I am too full and then I am miserable till it passes!! LOL

The other is yes,,,,, it comes back,,, Have not done so in a loooong time,, but early our it took me a bit to figure it out...

Ireally used my timer on my phone ALOT !!  spaced fluids and food and vites...

Good luck !!
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 647 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views