gas

wayne460429
on 7/18/11 8:39 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I am 16 months out and very happy with my overall health.  I have labs every 6 months and they are better than pre-surgery.  I will say that I am very conscience of everything I eat and have focused on a very healthy diet and life style.  that said, I CANNOT figure out how to avoid serious gas and flatulence .  I eat only high density proteins, take all vitamins and minerals advised by the doctor and dietitian, eat only whole grains, no processed foods, and avoid starches and sugars.  However, I still get terrible gas?  Anyone else having this problem, suggestions or website or links that I can look at?  Thanks, Wayne from the "windy" city.. Not really OKC :)
NoreenRT
on 7/18/11 8:56 am - Warner Robins, GA
hi wayne,  
me too.  my gas would start early afternoon and get progressively worse in smell and painful bloating as the evening wore on. 
after doing an elimination diet, i fount out i have become lactose intolerant (again) and the digestive pills i was taking stopped working.
i cut out all dairy and within 3 days was totally gas free.  i couldn't believe it.
i now know, 1/2 n 1/2 is a no-no.  i used to dump cupfuls of the stuff in my protein coffee and shakes.  no more.
hope this helps you somehow.

ps - peanut butter also gives me pee-u stinky gas.  doesn't matter if its a commercial brand or all natural no sugar brand.  still makes me stink.  but peanuts don't bother me at all. go figure.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

wayne460429
on 7/18/11 11:52 am - Oklahoma City, OK
thanks for the help, was there any medication you could take that would eleminate or reduce the gas and bloating?  I am immediately looking into an elemination diet
Elizabeth N.
on 7/19/11 8:33 am - Burlington County, NJ
If the elimination diet doesn't give you any good clues, you might talk to your doctor about taking a course of Flagyl to change the balance of bacteria in your gut, followed by use of a good probiotic (I am fond of Ultimate Flora Critical Care) to repopulate with good bacteria.

beemerbeeper
on 7/18/11 8:56 am - AL
I can't eat whole grains because I can't eat wheat gluten.  I can't eat lactose.  I can't eat sugar alcohols.  I had to do an eliminaiton diet to figure out what causes my gas.  Whey protein also causes gas for me.

Just because your labs are better than they were pre-op does not mean they are good enough.  I highly encourage you to get your labs reviewed by one or more of our lab experts here.  What vitamin program are you on?

Your doctor and dietitian are probably the last people to be advising you on diet and vitamins post DS.

~Becky

Sarah_Anne
on 7/18/11 8:59 am
Flour is what does it for me, white is worst but also whole wheat.  I am doing really well on a gluten free diet.  You are going to have to do an elimination diet to figure out what is causing it for you.  We are all different.  Google how to do an elimination diet.  If you are serious about it - its not hard to do and will give you some answers.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
wayne460429
on 7/18/11 11:11 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I am taking your advise and heading to google now to see how to go about it.  thanks a bunch.  PS:  what doesn't have wheat in it?  I don't see a future for me in eating only meat.  honestly thanks for the advise on the elemination diet.  its the only way to go.
Sarah_Anne
on 7/18/11 5:24 pm
You know I thought it was going to be a big deal for me too.  My favorite food is bread and butter!  But you know what, I made the decision and after that it was really a non issue.  I love not having the horrid gas and it has made me so much more confident.  Also, as so many people are discovering they can't do gluten there are tons of gluten free alternatives.  You do have to read lables, as they sneak flour in everything, but its just one of the things you do.  You eat a few doritos (or corn tortilla chips - no flour) and not cheetos at a party, that sort of thing (or cheesecake with out the crust instead of chocolate cake).  Once you actually do it I think you will see its less of a big deal than you are making it out to be.  

And honestly, its better for long term mantanace anyway.  

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/11 12:37 am - San Jose, CA
Get yer paws off my cheetos!  They are corn-meal based and I am an orange-fingered cruncher!
Sarah_Anne
on 7/19/11 7:06 am
Well I guess I will have to come to the US for a cheetos fix!  Here the first ingredient is flour.  The special pessach ones might be gluten free (I'll have to wait till next year to see how they taste).  
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views