Cigna Insurance and BMI of less than 40

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 1:29 am
Hello DS'ers!

I started researching WLS a few months ago and thankfully (!!!) I have no exclusions for WLS in general with my Cigna insurance. I've been going through the hoops with a surgeon in my area (who does not perform the DS) on my way to a RNY. However, the more I learn, the more that I think I should consider the DS option.

The bad news.... Cigna wants a BMI of 50 to do the DS. I current have a BMI of 44.7 and  comorbidities of sleep apnea and hypertension.  That 50 pound mark would mean that I need to be about 40!!! pounds heavier, which I cannot even imagine.

My question is has anybody had any luck with Cigna approving (even on an appeal) a BMI of less than 50? I'm confused because I seem to have jumped camps (at least mentally) and not sure what to do now.

I did a quick search on this issue but did not yield many results.

Thanks in advance for reading and your replies.

_Leslie_
on 7/21/11 4:16 am - Franklin, WI
With a BMI of 44.7, I don't think you should have too many issues...
If they will approve RNY, they should do the DS... slap a bunch of scientific studies in their face and tell them to shut it!

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

Amy_Kleve
on 7/21/11 9:26 am - Adrian, MN
I don't have Cigna, but my insurance says the same thing yours does. They wouldn't cover the DS if I had a BMI of 49 or lower. I had a BMI of about 47-48 when I put in my pre-auth. 14 days later, they denied me and that was the reason why. I refuse to have an RNY, so my surgeon and I appealed. I heard back 10 days after my appeal that it was approved. I wouldn't give up, if you have done all your research and you are not willing to take no for an answer, go ahead with an appeal if you need too
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 10:54 am
 Thank you very much for this reply! It gives me hope, for sure. I'll work the process, continue to read and learn and see where I end up.

Thanks again.
Band to DS
on 7/21/11 11:07 am, edited 2/3/12 10:08 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views