CARB DETOX

Katy S.
on 7/20/11 1:36 pm - WA
(I did a search but need more centralized info)

I had a backsliding incident including garlic fries, beer, then olive garden breadsticks and croutons... I am pretty sure there was a gun to my head, but don't put me under oath.... It resulted in a bad # on the scale monday which brought me back to reality quickly...

Last few days I have had 2 protein shakes and 1 meal per day and upped my water, still no change in the scale...

1. how to carb detox

2. best high protein, low/no carb recipes

ready set go!
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

Poodles
on 7/20/11 1:48 pm - TX
My favorite low carb receipe site:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

With menus: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/menus.html

Take a look around.  Some yummy stuff in there!  I also love my low carb crockpot cookbook.

HTH!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 2:36 pm
 If you can make it for the first 4 days then it should get a lot easier.  Some take a bit less time, but by 4 days it will be undercontrol for you.
So the rule is High protein and low carb. stay away from breads, noodles, potatoes.fresh fruit, any sweet vegetable.  green vegetable are okay, eat cheeses, yoguart, cottage cheese,

you have to figure out what works for you.k

the best high protien meals are Crockpot cooked, meat done in sauces.
 the meat can be Beef Roast, Chicken, Porkribs, or Porkroast.. sausages, patties, seafood and/or fish,  
Katy S.
on 7/20/11 2:46 pm - WA
I don't really crave carbs which is a relief but I definitely need to get rid of these lbs that came back from my backslide... and get back to a steady loss would be nice too...

I have been so limited on food choices if I can't find something I end up just having a protein shake and those get me burnt out too... I saw someone who does pork rinds and dip which sounds great but definitely need more snack choices

"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

a_new_mii
on 7/20/11 5:28 pm - AZ
 It doesn't sound like it would taste good, but I like Tuna salad (tuna and Mayo) on pork rinds.  I use the tuna "salad" as a dip.  good protein, very low carb. 
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

MarciRenee
on 7/20/11 8:24 pm - IA

Ok...my thoughts:

1.  How far out are you?  Are you in weight-loss mode or maintenance mode?

2.  Are those the only carbs you've been eating?  I don't know that those carbs necessarily resulted in the number on the scale...it could be water weight, the weather (it is HUMID as a mo-fo here), etc.  But it isn't a bad idea to check yourself when it comes to carbs.

3.  Are you tracking in an on-line journal so you know how many carbs you ARE eating?  Such as www.myfitnesspal.com

4.  How much protein are you eating a day?  Are you supplementing as you should be?  Are you having your annual or semi-annual lab draws done?  All of these things are critical to post-op DS health.

5.  If I had 2 protein shakes and 1 meal a day - I WOULD KILL SOMEONE b/c I WOULD BE SO DAMN CRANKY.  That is not nearly enough food, period.  You should not, if you are more than a few months out, be taking most of your protein from shakes.  And this is coming from someone *****ligiously does 2 double-scoop protein shakes a day.  I also eat throughout the day as well.  If that is all the food you are giving your body it is not going to let go of the weight b/c it thinks you are starving it!  FEED ME SEYMOUR!!

6,  Fave low carb food:
Cottage cheese w/tomatoes or salsa
Cheese
Chicken Salad
STEAK
Chicken Quesodillas made w/low carb tortilla
Cheese sticks w/peanut butter
Beef Jerky
Mozzarella, tomatoes, olive oil, and basil
Cheddar Brats from the grill
Over easy eggs w/bacon and cream cheese
Egg Salad
Deviled Eggs
BACON
Ricotta Fluff
Greek Yogurt w/crystal light powder to sweeten and flavor it
NUTS (these aren't super bioavailabe and have some carbs but they are way better than bread, chips, croutons, etc)
Dill Pickle rolled up in lunch meat smeared with cream cheese
Butter Beef

Hope that helps...and please do NOT expect to take off the weight in like a second.  Some people do but NOT everyone is able to low carb for like a day and drop 8 pounds.  That has never been me and I didn't want you to feel bad if that wasn't you either.

And remember carbs aren't necessarily bad...there are good carbs - the complex kind from veggies.  And if you are going to have some carbs make them COUNT.  Really want them and enjoy them - no guilt.  But don't mindlessly eat carbs.  Deprivation and guilt are NOT going to to help you. If you really crave something or want something - have a LITTLE of it and move on.  Otherwise you are likely to eventually give in and then have WAY too much of whatever you were trying to not eat.

Marci       
Julie R.
on 7/20/11 10:15 pm - Ludington, MI
 LOL, Marci....I would kill someone too, after chewing my own arm off.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

yorkieGal
on 7/20/11 10:43 pm - Clermont, FL
Oh God me too!!

But back to the issue at hand....I think some of this is water weight honey, the foods you ate had alot of sodium in them, garlic fries, those breadsticks have a salty coating, croutons etc....try eating some naturally diuretic foods and see if that helps.

I second what the others have said about not eating enough....shakes are as well as food not instead of food honey!! Try making some pepperoni chips backed in the oven, they come out crispy and if you get the thick one, you can use them to dip or make some cheese crisps. When I am low carbing I get one of those snack trays from walmart with the cheese cubes, salami and pepperoni in them and supplement it with some olives stuffd with feta (my fav) and some hummous and give mysel permission to nosh on that while watching TV and everyone else is eating chips.

Make some chilli, and some pot roast in the crock pot and kep it handy in the fridge and when you are hungry just eat it.....you will find that such dense protein fills you up and stops you eating the carbs. although you say that you don;t crave carbs, they snuck in there somehow!!

Try posting on the VItes & Bites each day and say at the top of the post that you are going v low carb and then you will get other ideas for recipes and snacks etc.

Best of luck sweetie.....I know all about this as I just came back from 3 weeks at home in the UK and have got 8lbs to get rid of so I am on the low carb bandwagon too!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Katy S.
on 7/20/11 11:50 pm - WA
I am only a little over 4mo out... and it was just a horrible carb, and you're right sodium filled weekend... I am in full time school gone and stuudying about 14hours a day 4 days a week hopefully slowing down next week, I am cranky but with no one to crank at...it has been easier to get away from carbs by just having protein shakes, because if im hungry and out of the house the only other choices are carbs... plus I burnt out my first 3mo on string cheese, cottage cheese, beef jerky, lunch meat, little smokies, pepperonis, nuts... those are just a few I can think of cuz I was always starving and constantly eating I can't bring myself to eat them quite yet but I am trying... I have run out of non spoilage snacks to grab on the go... and 6lb gain in 2 days was such a shock, I am down 3 of 6 today but this setback sucks now since I have already wasted a week from my mistake and looks like next week will be wasted too... I am 79lbs down since surgery w/a start weight of 306 (only 76 since I messed up) still have 60+ until my goal and 80 til docs goal... and hopefully a couple more months before rapid loss slows... even then I hope to NEVER see 6lb gain that fast again...

MarciRenee
on 7/21/11 12:44 am - IA
Ok.  You need to calm down a little missy!  You are only 4 months out - so I pretty much guarantee you that this "gain" is NOT carb induced.  Seriously the DS is the MOST forgiving surgery out there.  And when peep**** stalls or slow downs in their weight loss one of the first things they are often encouraged to do is to have a high carb day just to shake things up.  And I can vary 5 pounds from one day to the next, which is why I don't get on the scale all the time b/c it just ****** me right the hell off.  Bouncing around and up and down is totally normal, even first out.  It doesn't mean you are doing the wrong things or that your DS is broken.  This little uptick in the scale is NOT a true gain, especially not at 4 months out.  But I WOULD start tracking what you are putting in your mouth every day.  How much protein are you getting daily?  How many grams of carbs daily?  How many ounces of liquids are you taking in each day?

If you are only 4 months out you seriously, seriously need to eat more.  The reason you are always hungry is b/c your body is demanding more food.  Giving it less food is only going to be counter productive.  You need to find some snacks that are easy to grab and go - protein bars, nuts, etc.  There are also LOTS of high protein things you can get at fast food places and a lot of them don't have a ton of carbs.  Many burger places will put your burger in lettuce or serve it without the bun.  If you have a Jimmy John's I love their unwhiches - any of their sandwiches wrapped in lettuce.

And failing eating more food (which you NEED to do) you should be getting in at least another protein shake, double scoop (at least in my mind).  You are in weight loss mode which means you NEED food.  It is disordered behavior to be taking in the majority of your food in shakes, long term.  Supplementing your food intake, yes.  Replacing your food intake long term, no.
Marci       
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views