opinions on drinking milk and other questions

Twi light
on 8/13/11 9:21 am - NY
I am torn, it has protein but it is not low in carbs.  Before surgery i would maybe drink a cup of milk a month. Past couple of days i have noticed aout 1/2 cup to a cup of milk a day.  

Should i limit the milk? 

I get my protein in , i made home made beef jerky (lower sodium) and overall just snacking on it really increases my protein.
I can not figure out how low on carbs i should be though- if i eat a tomatoe or a fruit, drink some milk, my carb count can easily shoot up for the day to the 40-50 range.

Also, how do you count the sugars in a marinade? if you marinade a chick breast in 2tbs of marinade , what percentage of the maridnade counts? 

teachmid
on 8/13/11 9:42 am - OKC, OK
This is just my opinion, but I would not waste my carbs on milk. I make my shakes heavy cream, 1/2 and 1/2 in a bind.

In the last day or two there was a thread on how many carbs. Many people aim for under 50 a day during weight loss.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 10:33 am
 I use Hood calorie countdown "milk". It's low carb. But I just use it to make some of my protein shakes.

shannn
on 8/13/11 11:57 am - Knoxville , TN
. I had a protein shake every day made with 2% milk, after a few months mixed with coffee as well. I still do and probably will for life. I'm 10 pounds under my goal. I know a lot of people have to limit their carbs to lose, but I never counted carbs only protein. Ymmv big time!!
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

butercup
on 8/13/11 2:44 pm - Kennewick, WA
I'm pre op and I was told to stop all milk. I haven't had any since Easter, except once. I had a bowl of coco krispies and it was splendid.
happydsr
on 8/13/11 4:24 pm
elixir
on 8/13/11 9:21 pm - MI
I tried using milk in a protein shake shortly after my surgery and it made me sick to my stomach so I haven't tried it again. That said, it was probably for the best since there are more carbs than protein in milk anyway. I try to keep my carbs under 50 per day, though I'm not always successful. Sometimes it creeps up into the 70s, however I'd rather have a homemade loaded potato skin with cheese and bacon and sour cream than a glass of milk any day.
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

southernlady5464
on 8/13/11 10:36 pm
I was drinking whole milk pre-op...after surgery I became lactose intolerant. At 6+ months out, I am finally able to drink reg milk again but I still take the lactaid pills daily.

While milk has carbs, so does heavy cream and half & half, just not as many.

Whole milk has 12 carbs/8 grams of protein per serving.
2 % has 12 carbs/ 8 grams of protein
1% has the same as 2%
Non-Fat has the same as 1% and 2%
Half & Half has 1 carb/ 1 gram of protein per serving.
Heavy Cream has .42 carbs and .31 grams of protein per serving

We only absorb 20% of the fat, so why not use milk over the others, esp whole milk if you prefer.
Since milk has 8 grams of protein, adding that made more sense than cream or half & half...rather use water than those too...get almost as much protein. 0 protein for water, 1 or less for cream or half & half.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

pycca
on 8/13/11 11:00 pm - Haslet, TX
I use the heavy cream and 1/2 and 1/2 for my fat,,, along with my butter, olive oil ect.....and keeping carbs down. My protein I get from all the other fine sources... not to mention, I don't get the blowing up like a blowfish as I do with reg milk, Mixing that with my shakes, keeps things " smooth" LOL
jonathanac
on 8/15/11 8:42 am - NY
I drink over a quart a day btw coffee and protein. I don't think it slowed my wls ever at all. Of course ymmv
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 171 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 701 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views