how do you know if you are losing at proper pace?

Twi light
on 9/15/11 12:52 pm - NY
*what follows is somewhat whiny*

Everyone on here that had surgery at approx same time as i has lost significantly more weight than I have.

I lost 31lbs at 2 month mark, the 40lbs lost in total includes pre surgery weight. I lost about 19 pounds 1st month and 12 pounds second month.

I read that the estimate is like @ 2months you drop 25% of your EWL, by 6 months 50%, but how accurate is this? ....and this will not get me to a proper BMI

I have dropped a lot of pant sizes and I know i am smaller but i dont know if i am doing anything wrong or where i *should* be in terms of weight.

I have considered that maybe my weight loss is slower b/c i consume more calories b/c i do not really use shakes and instead I eat more- like 6 times a day i have small meals with 20grams of protein atleast. I dont know?! I am not eating too many carbs, but i do eat fresh veggies and i eat 1/2 cup of fruit a day maybe, I dont think it is excessive but maybe it is, maybe i should cut it out(but at the same time i think that now is the time to learn a good eating plan where i can eat proteins+moderate amounts of veggies+fruits, i can not eat meat+eggs for years to come and nothing else).

I drink 2-3 liters of water a day, so like 67 to 100oz, just depending on activity level, I take my vitamins almost always, i maybe run behind on the last nightly dose once a week but i catch up. 

I do NOT exercise but i have not been cleared to do so yet either. I think this might be a part of it because b4 DS anytime i lost anyweight it was with massive amounts of exercise, my body would not drop any weight otherwise, maybe this still is a part of my bodies requirement and maybe i can not get the full utilization of this unless i exercise. I dont know, i jsut feel like i am somehow not doing it the right way - and it is not as if 31 lbs is bad, it is just my point of refrence is people on this board and i feel i am behind.

butercup
on 9/15/11 1:27 pm - Kennewick, WA
If you used Pomp, did you get your surgery in 2 steps?  If that's so, you're technically a revision and revisions do take longer to lose the weight.
butercup
on 9/15/11 1:28 pm - Kennewick, WA
Also, I've wondered for months about your avatar, who is that? I recognize the guy, but who is the girl?
Twi light
on 9/15/11 1:43 pm - NY
I am a one step virgin DS.

That is Edward Cullen and Bella Swan from the upcoming Breaking Dawn Movie during their honeymoon. (aka robert pattinson and kristen steward)

butercup
on 9/15/11 1:46 pm - Kennewick, WA
I thought maybe it was her, but it doesn't really look like her. Hmm.

Well, I don't have any advice except what I've heard other people say.  Up the protein and calories.  It'll come off, you just may take a bit longer.  Everyone is different.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I offer my support none the less.
Diane Davis
on 9/15/11 1:58 pm
Hijack!

Tic Toc, Tic Toc, it's almost time Heidi!  Can't wait til you join me!  I've not been here long enough to really warm up a spot for you on the bench, so how about I just scoot over for you?!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
butercup
on 9/15/11 4:27 pm - Kennewick, WA
Yay!  Thank you so much!  I'm excited and nervous.  Can't wait to sit with ya.
Janet P.
on 9/15/11 9:28 pm
First suggestion is to stop comparing your weight loss to others. Everyone loses as a different rate. You have to be happy with your weight loss and if you're not you need to change things around.

IMHO if you want to take full advantage of the weight loss window, switch one meal to a protein shake (which is pretty much pure protein). Then for your meals its protein first, then if there's room, complex carbs. Also IMHO cut the fruit out. A half a cup is a half a cup. They're good carbs but those carbs along with fresh veggies are still carbs. This is just my opinion. I personally didn't eat any fruit for a really long time. I do now of course. I pretty much eat anything I want.

Try fitday for a while to see exactly what you're taking in. You may be surprised how many carbs you're consuming. Early out people try to stick to about 50 grams of carbs a day. I think that's what I strove for. Of course some days were better than others.

Exercise (when you're cleared) may help. Not everyone exercises. I did and I personally think it helkped me. I started exercising around month 4 -- did cardio and weight training.

You've got years ahead of you. The weight will come off. Patience is probably the biggest lesson we can all learn with the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Amanda S.
on 9/16/11 5:38 am - New York, NY
I know you may not want to hear this but.......

You are fairly new!!! Don't worry don't panic!!! Just relax. I feel I was losing slower than everyone else on this board.  Some months I lose nothing at all!! But then eureka when my mind is not on it, and I am relaxed and I am in the bathroom at home a lot the weight just goes.  Now I just let my body take over and the weight just goes. I feel I should have been at goal by now but I am still losing!!

Take care

Amanda

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

DianaRR
on 9/16/11 8:59 am - CA
When we talk about this at our support group with the surgeon, he doesn't seem to worry about the different rates of weight loss and says the weight loss window is 18 - 24 months.
I think this is a "your mileage may vary" situation. Maybe in the next few months you will pull ahead.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 273 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 747 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views