Iron Infusers- What's your experience

ann M.
on 9/20/11 4:54 am - Northern, VA
I saw a hemotologist today.  I liked him even though he called me pale and said I had ugly red blood cells.  He was thorough.  He listened to my concerns and surgery explanation.  He answered my questions.  He suggested that I was going to need iron infusions ( I didn't have to ask)  even though my ferritin was technically in range and my hemoglobin and hematicrit were not hugely out of range.  He also was nice with the diagnostic coding to try to keep me from having to self-pay.

The prescription he gave me is for Venofer (one every 2-3 days for a total of 5). 

So, anyone have any issues w/ this type of iron infusion?  How long before you felt the difference?  Do you supplement iron at all now?

Thanks!

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 6:31 am - San Jose, CA

I never felt symptoms - my numbers were low, so I had infusions.  Sadly, I never felt different - I was hoping to feel better than I had before, even though I never felt bad.  The infusions were easy peasy (except the 35 mile drive to the hematologist, who is the one favored by Rabkin, because he "gets" bariatric surgery and the need to not wait until the numbers are in the toilet).  I had Venofer and had no reaction whatsoever.  I had 3 infusions each time, a week apart.  I don't take iron at all (except what's in my prenatal vitamin), which I'm fine with, since I got constipated by oral iron supplements.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 6:43 am - Tuvalu

I get Infed...or something like that.  Never had an problem.  I do about 90-120 minutes, once a week.  First two times, I did six weeks, this time, four.  I had a different medical problem this morning so I had to reschedule.  I'm hoping to feel a bit more peppy.

Mine is a genetic thing...Thalassemia minor...that kept me on the line between normal and anemic for 55 years and the band (because I ate less iron-containing food) and later the DS (because I absorb less stuff) made me a candidate for infusions.  Just about the whole damned family on the Sicilian side has it.
bratz-78
on 12/17/11 1:43 pm
Hello, I am Italian and have Thalassemia and waiting for a RYN in Feb and I am thinking it might be safer to go for the sleeve duo to my Thalassemia and the vitamin deficiencies that occurs during RYN. Reason i am responding is do you have any problems with your iron
thanks
newyorkbitch
on 12/18/11 5:00 am
1.  the surgery you are talking about is an RNY,  not an RYN.

2.  this is not an RNY board,  this is a DS board
BBoop
on 9/20/11 7:09 am
Sorry, I don't know what I took but I had several over weeks.  The one thing you should be careful about is if you have an IV infusion...make sure they get the needle in correctly or you will get an iron stain and it won't come out...ever. 

I remember feeling better cause my numbers were in the toilet.  Now I don't take any iron at all except what is in my multi.

B
Mdae
on 9/20/11 11:56 am
i believe that's what i had, and i would say that prior, i would never have known that i was low.  after, i just generally felt that i didn't tire quite as easily (maybe related, maybe not... but it coincided in any case).

i do supplement iron now, i take 2 polys per day (vitalady).

sweetpotato1959
on 9/20/11 2:00 pm
 Foltrin will help...costs 36$ for 60...and is oral.
Denise
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/20/11 2:23 pm - Tuvalu
On September 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, sweetpotato1959 wrote:
 Foltrin will help...costs 36$ for 60...and is oral.

If someone does not absorb iron, it doesn't matter whether they don't absorb iron in food or don't absorb iron in pills...it ain't gonna get absorbed. 

That's why infusions are needed.
J G.
on 9/20/11 4:10 pm
Smartest thing I've done!  (Since my DS)  I just get regular ole iron dextran (Infed)  It's the cheapest.  I get it about every 4 months and it restores my energy.  Sometimes I notice the difference right away, sometimes it take a while.   Great stuff.  I don't bother with any oral iron. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views