artificial sweetner in shakes gives me bad side effects+

Twi light
on 9/22/11 10:29 am - NY
Should i avoid shakes ? That is what i normally do . Today i tried again and i paid the price for it. It is an easy way for me to get my protein in to reach the 150+ range, which i can not do with just food, i can do about 100-120 with food alone.

Or is there a Stevia sweetned protein shake mix? 

splenda, nutrasweet just shred my insides.

Julie R.
on 9/22/11 10:36 am - Ludington, MI
 Do you have any way of knowing for sure whether it is the artificial sweetners, because for me, it's the WHEY that gives me problems!    I can only tolerate a couple of brands.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Twi light
on 9/22/11 10:44 am - NY
well  other things with fake sweetners give me the same reaction. Like i can not have crystal light, SF jello, SF pudding, SF jams, i cant eat any of that stuff. I normally sweeten things with stevia which i dont have a problem with. 

It does depend on quantity, i could have for example a few sips of crystal light or something SF and be okay, but i cant have a cup of it.

I am not sure what else is whey based i could test this on, i seem to have no issues with milk or cottage cheese and they have whey.

scaryreader
on 9/22/11 12:00 pm, edited 9/22/11 12:04 pm - Chicago, IL
What reactions are we talking about that are caused by artificial sweeteners?  I drin****d tea with equal all day long and I ALWAYS have terrible gas. If we can't use sweeteners or sugar...what are we to do?

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Twi light
on 9/22/11 2:23 pm - NY
I get terrible gas, bloating and sharp gas bubbles inside, it is not that i am just farty , it is all internal and painful , like the gas is trapped in there. I cant deal with it, i cant focus on anything but the discomfort.

I am okay with stevia and sugar doesnt bother me either, it is easier for me to have real sugar vs splenda, but of course i avoid sugar just to keep the carbs down.

hollyweasel
on 9/22/11 11:21 am - MI
Which ones can you tolerate?

Everything I have tried makes me sick as a dog.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

Julie R.
on 9/22/11 9:34 pm - Ludington, MI
 Designer Whey and Syntrax Nectar.   You can buy Designer Whey in smaller cans at RIte-Aid and Meijer and that way you can try it before committing to one of the industrial-sized cans that you order online.   Designer Whey is far less "sweet" than other brands, and doesn't have that artificial sweetened flavor or sickly whey flavor that others do.    The chocolate is really good blended with a bit of instant espresso or instant coffee powder (we make our own espresso and I keep it in the fridge and pour some in).   Some heavy cream and a bit of DaVinci sugar free syrup and it's almost as good as Starbucks, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

J J the Jet Plane
on 9/22/11 11:36 am
I cant do a lot either- having trouble with crystal light, diet snapple,

basically I can do Vitamin D milk, tea and watered down tea, apple juice watered down in small amounts,  most days plain water makes me gag.  It seems about every other day I can tolerate a shake.  I can not do them consecutively.

Splenda = death.

Feel your pain
JJ
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 12:08 pm
 If you Google "stevia sweetened protein powder" you will come up with all kinds of protein powders that you can try.
Twi light
on 9/22/11 2:26 pm - NY
Thankyou thankyou thankyoU! I totally thought this was going to be some specialty hard to find item but apparently not. Designer Whey (which i normally like) has tons of great flavors in their natural line that are all with Stevia.
I am going to give it a try, should be great.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 109 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views