New and just staring the process

Schmatzi
on 9/26/11 11:58 am - TX
Hi,

I am new on this forum but have been reading on here for a while now. I am 33 years old and of course have tried all different kinds of diets like most anybody else here.

When i first thought about WLS I only thought about Lapband and actually went to one of thos seminars. It was one of those hard sell seminars who bascially wanted to schedule me for the following week already. Thankfully my health insurance did exclude WLS. Of course I was disappointed but while doing research if my husband's insurance would cover WLS, I found this website and started reading about other surgeries as well. I am so glad I found this website which caused me to do some more research and I think that the DS is the right surgery for me. What was I thinking when considering the Lapband?

Anyways, my husband's insurance will cover the surgery and i just started the process. I went to a center of exellence seminar and will have my psych evaluation, first nutritionist appointment and my first visit with my surgeon on Wednesday. I am so excited.

But I do have a few questions. Did any of you have Aetna and lived abroad before? Most of my past doctors are in Europe and I am worried that the insurance is not going to accept their documentation. Anybody have experience with this?

beemerbeeper
on 9/26/11 1:33 pm - AL
Welcome to the forum.  Who is your surgeon?

I can't help you with your out of country documents but I bet someone will know the answer.  We have DSers who post here from all over the world.

Good luck on your journey!

~Becky

gak
on 9/26/11 2:48 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Where abroad ? Did you look at www.dsfacts.com ? there are lists of vetted DS there by location in US and abroad.  Then if you have questions on a specific one.. post their name in the title and people will answer if they know about them .

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Blank Out
on 9/26/11 9:37 pm
 Please pick a vetted DS surgeon!  Who are you considering?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

teachmid
on 9/26/11 11:32 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Schmatzi
on 9/26/11 11:42 pm - TX
I am considering Dr. Wilson in Houston, TX. However, if I don't feel comfortable there, I would consider going to Dallas to have the surgery done there.

So I do have insurance with Aetna and will have my surgery here as well. Only my documents for the insurance about my past weight loss attempts and proof of being obese for the past years is going to come from abroad and I will have to translate it into english I guess. I am just a bit worried that the insurance is not going to accept those. Probably worrying about nothing but trying to see any possible issues early on so that i can work on them to make the approval as smooth as possible.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 1:00 am - TX
 If you do go to the Dallas area, the surgeon you want is Dr Darryl Stewart.  Honestly, he's just the One to go to in Texas.  

I'm fairly certain there won't be an issue with your insurance taking the past history.  It would make no sense for them not to accept it. I'd call Aetna and explain the situation and see what they say.  

geutenmorgan
on 9/27/11 4:07 am
I would absolutely go with Dr. Stewart in Denton/ Dallas. He is a fabulous surgeon. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. They are willing to work with long distance. Good luck!
Fade2Pink
on 9/27/11 6:10 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Just adding my welcome and seconding (or thirding..fourthing...?) Dr. Stewart.  Good luck!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views