DS'ers able to donate blood?

geutenmorgan
on 10/2/11 6:14 am
Are there any  concerns with donating blood after having surgery?  I am three months out, lost 60 lbs.  Love my DS, but wondering if I can continue to donate blood?  What about just the plasma. would that be easier on my system? 
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/2/11 6:24 am - Tuvalu

I've never been able to donate and still can't.

But I'd think it has everything to do with YOUR labs.

Yehuda G.
on 10/2/11 6:45 am
After I had my rny I was able to donate blood once I saw my labs were good. Now that I've been revised to the DS (6 months ago) I will have to wait a while to see if my labs are steady. IMO, you should wait until you are longer out.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 6:52 am

I'm not sure...I've never donated blood, but then, I'm on medication for lupus and fibromyalgia, and that I have those conditions would probably rule out donation for me.

I would check with your doctor and the blood bank to make sure.  I think prescription drugs rules out donation at our blood bank.
newyorkbitch
on 10/2/11 7:04 am
You can certainly donate blood,  but your blood might not be desirable anymore - would depend on your labs. 

Go try to donate, make sure they finger ***** you to see if the blood is iron-rich enough, and tell them about any medications you're on.

If the blood passes muster and your meds (if any) are not an issue....then go right ahead.

I continued to donate blood after my DS until the anemia no longer made my blood desirable.
geutenmorgan
on 10/2/11 7:07 am
Thank you for your responses. I am not on any meds. What about donating plasma?
airbender
on 10/2/11 7:15 am
the DS in itself is not an exclusion for donating blood, in other words the DS has nothing to do with if you can donate or not,  you would have to pass all the other requirements that others are screened with,  including if you want to donate components only......
ChristyTal
on 10/2/11 9:22 am
My surgeon told me I should not donate blood, I need my iron  :)

Emily F.
on 10/2/11 9:52 am
I spend way too much money and time on my blood, I need it and I was a regular donator before. I am sad, but I need it more.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 10:17 am
I, personally, will never consider donating blood.  My nutritional requirements post-DS require constant vigilance if I want to maximize my future health and well-being.  

Although I consider getting my DS a selfless act (meaning I owe it to my family to do everything possible to be here for them for many years to come), I consider my post-DS treatment a very selfish act.  I agreed to let the surgeon induce a medical condition that, if not managed properly, will kill me.  That's a huge responsibility and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it.  

I require oral iron supplementation and may someday require iron infusions like many others on this board.  That means donating blood would be like borrowing money from the bank at a variable interest rate so I could turn right around and make an interest-free loan to a complete stranger with no chance of repayment.  Even plasma donation means losing precious protein, platelets, clotting factors, and antibodies that help me fight infection.

I choose to leave the donating to someone who can easily and rapidlly replace what they've given away with minimal risk of long-term complications.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views