Surgery in Mexico ....

Ding-E-Girl
on 10/3/11 11:23 am - MS
     Just wondering if we have to have a passport to have surgery in Mexico?   
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/3/11 11:30 am - Tuvalu

No.  But you need one to get back in the US. 

"Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel beyond the “border zone" into the interior of Mexico. The “border zone" is generally defined as an area within 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. Regardless of the destination in Mexico; however, all U.S. citizens age 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport book or passport card to re-enter the U.S. by land. A passport book is required to return to the United States via an international flight."

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html#entry_req uirements

kramer5
on 10/3/11 2:56 pm - Washington, KS
Technically you need one to get back in the US but I didn't have mine so I took my DL and my birth certificate and they let me through, no questions asked, it took about 5 minutes.  I went through the fast lane because my surgeon gave me a medical pass.
Dawn

Rena H.
on 10/3/11 6:48 pm - Spokane, WA
 i needed it both ways. Got the stamps to prove it. i went by plane tho. I don't know about driving.
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

larra
on 10/4/11 12:01 am - bay area, CA
Times have changed. You really need a passport these days to get back into the country, even from Canada. And it takes awhile to get one, so if you don't have a current passport, apply for one asap.

Larra
newyorkbitch
on 10/4/11 7:00 am
You need a passport to get in and out. Just because they made an exception for one person doesn't mean they will do it for you. Get a passport. And IMHO, you really shouldn't travel out of the US without one. **** happens.
gak
on 10/4/11 11:54 am
Revision on 06/21/13
PLEASE DO NOT attempt to go without a passport ! Homeland Security is cracking down in a lot of border locations. You will be detained and denied access without a passport anymore. I would be shocked if anyone currently could return to the US without a passport, whether driving and especially if flying.

Info to apply  here: 
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Larissa P.
on 10/5/11 12:38 am - Denton, TX
Yes, you need a passport. No, they never checked mine (I'm pretty white looking I guess.) But I flew into San Diego and went across the border by car.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/5/11 12:54 am - Tuvalu
On October 5, 2011 at 7:38 AM Pacific Time, Larissa P. wrote:
Yes, you need a passport. No, they never checked mine (I'm pretty white looking I guess.) But I flew into San Diego and went across the border by car.

So was Cortes...Hernando Cortes...white looking.  He was a light skinned, blue-eyed, redhead, as a matter of fact.  And, after he burned his own ships so his sailors would not mutiny and go home...he's the reason almost everyone in Mexico speaks Spanish.

So the Mexicans--expecially the ones with mostly Indian blood--know to be on the lookout for "your type," lest another one land and conquer and make everyone learn to do Riverdance routines or something.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/5/11 12:55 am - Tuvalu

And, boy!  Do you look Skinny!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 271 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views