Hello all, I am new here

HeatherLynn
on 10/31/11 2:23 am - TX
Hi everyone. I am new here, and happy to have found this place. My husband and I are both scheduled to have the DS on November 14th. Yes, we are doing it together. FIgured we could be each other's best support system. 

I am doing more research and now I am starting to have concerns that I most likely have no business having. The biggest one for me is not losing what I expect to lose. The doc says he will take less from me since I am not as overweight as my husband. He doesn't want me getting "too" thin...but what if it isn't enough? What if I am still fat later? 

Other than that I am excited about getting on with the next chapter in this saga. 

Has anyone else done this with their spouse? 
NoMore B.
on 10/31/11 2:31 am
Hi, and welcome

What you're feeling is totally normal.  Most of us have been conditioned through a lifetime of failed diets that we will always fail at weight loss attempts.  Lots of us go through the "What if the DS doesnt work for me" fears.  Try to realize where that fear is coming from so you can put it in it's proper perspective - an irrational fear.

Your surgeon has an excellent reputation and I cant think of one of his patients here that didnt lose a significant amount of weight.  As long as you are compliant with limiting carbs you should be fine.

That being said, what are your expectations of weight loss?  Not everyone makes it to "thin".  but nearly everyone makes it to "healthy" and "no longer obese".  Especially lightweights starting off like you.  If your expecations are in line I would say you'll do fine. 

There are several couples I know who both have the DS, although I cant think of any that were switched on the same day.  There's a fantastic husband and wife DS couple here that also had their DS;s with Dr Stewart, so if you dont already know them I'm sure they'll be by to introduce themselves.
HeatherLynn
on 10/31/11 2:41 am - TX
 Thank you. My expectations? Well, I want to get down to my goal weight. It was 160 when I have been on diets...but honestly I would like to see 145 with the surgery.  

We are not sharing that we're having surgery with anyone but our close friends and family, because, well...there seems to be some kind of judgement about those who lose with help. It may be imagined, but still, we don't want everyone knowing. I care less than my husband does. He is really afraid of others knowing for some reason.  With a few people I have shared with, they are appaled that *I* would have it since I am a "lightweight". I still qualify for the surgery and have the weight related health issues to support it (type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, joint pain). I quit sharing that I was doing it because I was sick of people telling me I "am not big enough". I am 100 lbs overweight, I don't know why that is not "enough". 

NoMore B.
on 10/31/11 4:35 am
Ah yes, the "taking the easy way out" thing.  When I was pre-op. and for a long while after my surgery, I was concerned with how others would judge me.  Now, I really dont care.  I'm not saying that you should or shouldnt care, only that your feelings, and your husbands feelings on the topic may change in time.

As far as people telling you you're not big enough - I dont personally know anyone who was able to lose, let alone maintain the loss of, 100 pounds.  It sounds to me that your expectations are right in line.

There is a board for lightweights www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/
I dont belong to it (I wish I had WLS while I still would have qualified!), but know several who do.
* Gail R *
on 10/31/11 2:48 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Welcome to the DS board. Be sure to read DSFacts.com from beginning to end.Go back a few weeks and look for subjects that may apply to you. Know as much as you can before surgery and there will be no surprises and you may even be happy to find that it is not as difficult as you thought.
Remember that this involves a lifetime commitment to supplementation, usually more than your r. suggests. We have had quite a few husband wife teams here now and in the past. All did great.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Mike A.
on 10/31/11 3:29 am - Independence, MO
My wife and I also had the DS. There was a 5 month gap - she went first - but we did use the same surgeon. It has been awesome to go through this together. It was pretty amazing a how different our post-op has been. I take way more vitamin supplements than she does yet our labs are nearly identical. I can eat anything but she doesn't digest dense cuts of beef very well. The good news is that we are both off the massive doses of meds we needed for hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, edema, asthma and such. We can both keep up with our grandkids at the park now too

Mike
HW 452/SW 428/ CW 188/GW 190

Blank Out
on 10/31/11 3:34 am
 Congrats on picking a great surgeon!  You have made the first hurdle!  Did he tell you how long your common channel will be?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

HeatherLynn
on 10/31/11 5:28 am - TX
On October 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM Pacific Time, dvanhandel wrote:
 Congrats on picking a great surgeon!  You have made the first hurdle!  Did he tell you how long your common channel will be?
 He did tell me he would only take half as much of mine as he usually does. He probably DID give me a #, but I didn't know enough to pay attention. I will ask tomorrow when we go for our pre-surgery class. 
Larissa P.
on 10/31/11 5:29 am - Denton, TX
I would completely trust Dr Stewart's judgement. RELAX. You gonna be so skinny! lol
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
momx4
on 10/31/11 6:06 am - TX
Welcome, I am one week ahead of you.  My surgery is on the 7th.  I consulted with Dr. Stewart....LOVE HIM.....but my insurance wouldn't cover the DS...so I am traveling to Madigan Army Medical Center to have my DS done!  Are you in Texas?  I am in Central Texas!
Kristi                
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views