Did your surgery help your overactive bladder?

lamp35
on 11/19/11 9:49 am
If there is one thing I hope comes out of this, is the need to no longer have to wear Poise pads 24/7  and carry extra clothes everywhere I go :(
* Gail R *
on 11/19/11 9:54 am - SF Bay Area, CA
It gave me great holding power. There is no longer the pressure on my bladder from excess weight. I used to buy a crate of poise at Costco. Never think of them anymore. No problems.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

April M.
on 11/19/11 10:59 am - MI
I don't know if it'll go away entirely, but I've been able to switch from Always Ultra long overnight with wings to tiny little panty liners, and it's more for my peace of mind than anything else. I still get an occational leak, but that's it!

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

Elia-B
on 11/19/11 12:12 pm
I use panty liners, too.  I'll get a sneeze or something else and will sometimes get just a few drops sneek out... and even a few drops can be problematic.  Losing the weight has been a tremendous help to me on this issue.  However, I have noticed that since I upped my protein (via the protein powders), I started experiencing a frequent need to go -- even if there's wasn't that much to let go of.  I did some reading and aparently the extra protein can cause some issues with the bladder, creating a sensation that you need to go often.  And, if I'm understanding this right, the solution is to drink LOTS of water to give those protein byproducts a chance to be flushed out....     
Also, try kegels.  They help a lot, too!!!  

Kayla B.
on 11/19/11 10:42 pm - Austin, TX
It may if the problem is from too much pressure from your weight on your bladder. And if you have to urinate a lot due to any issues with high blood sugar.

I would caution you however that if the issue is a weak pelvic floor, it could get worse from the loss of supporting tissue. I have talked to a urogynecologist that said he sees a lot of WLS patients in his office for prolapse after their weight loss.

Pelvic floor physical therapy would not be a bad idea pre-op. It's basically intense kegels with help from a professional.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 9:14 am - Beverly, NJ
I think it depends on why your bladder is overactive. I've lost 120 lbs and I haven't leaked in over a month. I am only 4 months out so I know there is a lot that can change.
My wife has an over active bladder and it's a side effect of the meds for her SZ so even her losing weight won't help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views