Explain to me "double protein"

HeatherLynn
on 11/27/11 10:40 am - TX
 In our "class" prior to surgery, they told us that taking in over 30 grams of protein at once was wasting it, because we could only absorb 30 grams at a time. 

I see a lot of people posting that they had "double protein". Now I am confused. Do you guys know something that I should know? 
teachmid
on 11/27/11 10:50 am - OKC, OK
There is some literature out there supporting the 30gm absorption, but not everyone goes along with the idea. Whatever. I do double protein shakes (2 scoops) for the taste.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 10:56 am
There isn't any science behind that statement.  I cannot find any, anyway.  That being said, your body utilizes the protein better if taken throughout the day.  However, if you absolutely know that you are going to be busy or whatever it is better to double it than to go without.

I don't do double protein for a bunch of reasons, one being protein shakes make me gassy and makes said gas stinky.  I did a 'personal' study on this. lol.  I am far enough out that if I work on it, I can eat all of my protein on a good day so I went a week without the shakes and sure enough, no gas and no stink.  I added the shakes back in and I would fart in my sleep and they were stinky!!

That's just my personal exoerience so I am trying never to have shakes.  Some days I just can't eat enough so I will throw one in but for me, it isn't worth the smell. Some brands of flavored protein powder are worse for me than others but still, I noticed the difference.

I am NOT saying not to have them, especially early out when it is impossible to get your protein in without them!

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 11:08 am - TX
 What I have heard from my in-house medical source is that the 30g limit is pretty much just for patients with kidney disease.  Everyone else can and will absorb more than that at a sitting. 

Another instance where you smile and nod...
HeatherLynn
on 11/27/11 11:12 am - TX
On November 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM Pacific Time, RagamuffinB wrote:
 What I have heard from my in-house medical source is that the 30g limit is pretty much just for patients with kidney disease.  Everyone else can and will absorb more than that at a sitting. 

Another instance where you smile and nod...

10-4...good to know. This makes me smile. Will my hubby too.
elixir
on 11/27/11 11:17 am - MI
I've heard 25, 30 & 50 being the amount of protein that people can digest or absorb in one sitting. That said, I've decided... and I have no medical proof to back this up, it's just one of those "that's my story and I'm sticking to it" kind of things.... that since I'm going to malabsorb half my protein anyway if I have a double-scoop shake (equaling 50grams of protein) I'm only going to absorb half of it anyway. I usually have a double-scooper twice a day and try to get in the rest of my protein through eggs, cheese, nuts/seeds and meat. Shakes don't give me gas and they tend to sit better in my stomach then food does some days.  

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 3:51 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I've heard more than once that that 30g recommendation is pretty much total BS.

Besides, if a "normal" person can only absorb 30g protein at once, and the average DSer malabsorbs about 50% of protein intake, then DSers should be able to take in 60g of protein at once anyway without "wasting" any of it (other than what would be malabsorbed anyway).
dustydeer
on 11/27/11 8:36 pm
So IF that whole protein thing is true, let's take a look at us. The general rule of thumb is we malabsorb 50% of protein...then a 50-60g protein shake isn't but 25-30 for us anyway...true?

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 12:36 am
It's my understanding from a study that there is no data to suggest we only take in X amount of protein at one time. I do double scoop protein shakes because I like the taste of it better than one scoop. If I'm wasting it, oh well... and if I'm not, yay for me. *lol*
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views