How can you tell if your body is taking protein from your muscles?

Twi light
on 11/30/11 2:47 am - NY
I have lost a lot of muscle mass, i can tell because i am just so much more giggly in my calves and they used to be much harder.

So how do you know, is there a lab that indicates that? 

Alusien
on 11/30/11 2:51 am - Waxahachie, TX
I've also lost a ton of muscle mass in the process.  I'm just trying to rebuild muscle via core exercises at this point.

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 3:21 am
Labs:

Pre-Albumin -   (like money in your pocket)
Albumin - - - -    (like money in your checking account)
Total protein - - (savings)

I worry more about the first 2 numbers because by the time you are taking it out of savings, you are headed for trouble. :)

We have all lost a certain amount of muscle mass due to how fast we lose the weight, however, the better you can do with your protein, the less muscle you will lose. Also, being low on protein will cause your other labs to tank.

One more thing, we used to haul around a LOT more weight and so our calves were really working, now, not so much. :)

HTH,
Michele
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/30/11 5:33 am
My calves used to be the size of thee grapefruits- all muscle too, you get that walking 3 miles and climbing 10 stories of stairs every day while weighing 300lbs. Now that I've lost over 100lbs my calves have shrunk dramatically even though I'm doing the same amount of exercise my legs just didn't need all that muscle anymore so its gone. I'm actually glad for that, I'd look weird at my current weight with calves that big.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

gak
on 11/30/11 10:17 am
Revision on 06/21/13
On November 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM Pacific Time, m h wrote:
Labs:

Pre-Albumin -   (like money in your pocket)
Albumin - - - -    (like money in your checking account)
Total protein - - (savings)

I worry more about the first 2 numbers because by the time you are taking it out of savings, you are headed for trouble. :)

We have all lost a certain amount of muscle mass due to how fast we lose the weight, however, the better you can do with your protein, the less muscle you will lose. Also, being low on protein will cause your other labs to tank.

One more thing, we used to haul around a LOT more weight and so our calves were really working, now, not so much. :)

HTH,
Michele
 Michelle, 
I thought is was a different order. 

Total protein .. savings... total of albumin (fluids)  and globulins ( immune system)
Pre-albumin ... checking acct - nutritional status
Albumin ....  pocket money - measures absorption of nutritional items/protein

here are a couple of links... 
http://www.uofmmedicalcenter.org/HealthLibrary/Article/LTO_P REALBUMIN   and -    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003483.htm

complicated for sure !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 10:24 am
You're right!

Holy cow, I need a keeper.

Thanks, Ginger!

Michele
gak
on 11/30/11 10:44 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 You made me think as well as I have read a lot on this in the past.    .. LOL

If you google stuff there are tons of articles about what they all mean as to healing and wound issues etc. The trick is finding info related to WL maintence and health status. 

Ginger<><  

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 11:17 am
Well, I learned it from someone here and from Vitalady and a prior PCP. I got them mixed up. lol
gak
on 11/30/11 11:22 am
Revision on 06/21/13
OH so easy to mix up.. no biggy..

Ginger<><  

Kayla B.
on 12/1/11 4:30 am - Austin, TX
Assume it's happening.  There is always going to be some degree of that with massive weight loss.  Just try to minimize it.  Watch your blood proteins as mentioned, watch your labs, eat your protein, try to utilize the muscles as much as possible, and try to rebuild when you're done.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 271 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views