11th Year Surgiversary - Reflections

Kennedy12
on 12/14/11 12:08 pm - Chicago, IL
December 11th was my 11th surgiversary and I have been trying to think about how I would sum up my experience thus far and I realized, the only way to sum it up is to say that I have a completely different life now.

I walked into the hospital in Pontiac Michigan weighing some where around 410 lbs. I was pretty inactive, getting exhausted from working and going to grad school full-time. My free time was spent lying in bed watching TV.

Today, I don't take any medications related to weight complications. My blood pressure is so low, I often have to stand up in order for it to register for my doctor.

I LOVE to workout. This is a revelation! I hated being active before, but today, I train with a former Chicago Bear who kicks my butt as if I were in training to play with the Bears. I am studying to become a Pilates instructor and have my own Pilates Reformer in my living room because I love using it so much. I read books like Chi Running and Pilates Anatomy for fun.

I enjoy clothing on a whole different level. I always enjoyed fashion and following it, but was never able to participate until now and it brings me a lot of joy!

The way I eat has changed. The things I am attracted to are different. I no longer enjoy junk food the way I used to. I rarely eat fast food and love to cook now when I have time. Is my eating perfect? What is perfect? I avoid the foods that don't agree with me, ensure I get in enough protein every day. I get my labs done religiously, get my bone density tested yearly. I take my vitamins and minerals every day. It's such a routine that I don't even think about it much.

I am more myself than ever before. I have healthier boundaries with the people in my life. I speak my mind when necessary and love life!

As I am writing this, there is a part of me that struggles with wanting to say something meaningful and helpful, but the truth is, this far out, everything is pretty automatic and I don't have to think about things or focus on things as much as you do in the beginning. I hope this makes sense. It's all just a way of life. A given.

I would have this surgery every year if that's what it took to have the life I have now. I am so grateful for the DS and all those that came before me and shared their stories and those on the DS Forum that were there for me when I needed help with regain.

Life is amazing. I travel to fun places, have the best friends and a life I wouldn't trade with anyone. I hope all your DS experiences are as great or greater!!

Jillian

Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

YeahItsCase
on 12/14/11 12:28 pm
I love seeing posts from vets who are years and years out...it gives newbies like me some assurance that yes, this is the REAL DEAL!

Thanks so much for posting your reflections and paying the thoughts forward :)

colene
on 12/14/11 1:25 pm
I love this post and ageee completely with you, at 10 years post op it has just become "the norm" for me as well. Congratulations on those incredible 11 years! :)
newyorkbitch
on 12/16/11 3:39 am
Same here,  and I will be 12 years in March.  I don't do anything that is "DS" at all,  except take all my vitamins and get bloodwork 3-4 times a year and get iron infusions as needed.  Other than that,  there's really nothing about my eating or anything else that has anything to do with the DS.  Eating protein first is just second nature to me now.

Congrats on your 11 years,  and 10 years...sometimes I hardly remember what life used to be like.  And there are lots of people in my life now who have no idea I was ever overweight. 

zuzupetals2u2
on 12/17/11 4:32 am - Sedona, AZ
I am surprised to hear you do labwork 3-4 times a year when you are that far out- so it is apparently not true to have it taken only once a year after year 2? have you found the need to tweak that much that often even when taking a full Vitalady recommended schedule??

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Chad M.
on 12/14/11 1:27 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Congratulations on such long term success! It's a real inspiration and is much deserved on your part.
beemerbeeper
on 12/14/11 1:35 pm - AL
Jillian,

I hope I am posting here for my 11 year surgiversary and beyond.  Thank you for being an inspiration.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 1:59 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
nightowl
on 12/14/11 4:05 pm - Topeka, KS
Thank you for the update, Jullian!
teachmid
on 12/14/11 7:40 pm - OKC, OK
Wonderful post! Congratulations!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active