Longer Term Post Op Touching Base

Stephanie B.
on 1/17/12 12:49 am - North Port, FL
I have not been on OH forever! Mine name is Stephanie and I had my DS 08/12/02 with Dr Terry Simpson in Phoenix. I was 340 at that time, have gotten as low as 150, but after my surprise baby in 2007 I have been pretty settled where I am now, which is 162.

Just wondering if there are issues that other long term post-ops are having? I am anemic, but never was until that pregnancy that killed my iron stores and I cannot seem to build them back up. Also does anyone else have trouble getting doctors to understand and believe you that you still can malabsorb t his far out when it comes to meds?

Thanks!
Stephanie

Stephanie Mommy to William 06/09/97, Kenny 09/24/98 and Lex 11/08/07

Kathleen F.
on 1/17/12 1:05 am, edited 1/25/12 5:38 am

[edited]

Have you seen a hematologist about your anemia? You may need to get an iron infusion to get you back on track.

Stephanie B.
on 1/17/12 1:27 am - North Port, FL
Hi thank you so much!

I have had a few transfusions, I actually get them every few months. I just cannot keep my stores up. Wow that is low on the D! Living in AZ and now FL has, I am sure, helped wth my levels of D. I had my gall bladder and appendix taken when I had mine, also. Yuck sludge in the bile duct? I have not heard of that but it sounds awful.

Glad to hear you are well. I am really still pretty darn good myself- nice to find other who are far out.

Thank you!

Janet P.
on 1/17/12 8:08 pm
Stephanie - I assume you mean infusions not transfusions. Are you going to a hematologist or just using your PCP? Stored iron can take up to 6 months to build back up. When I was first diagnosed with anemia, my hematologist had me on weekly infusions for 2 months, then every other week, then monthly. By the time we were finished my ferritin was in the normal range. You need a hematologist who understands malabsorption. Not necessarily the DS but at least WLS. I was lucky that my first hematologist "got it" so I never had to convince him.

I am almost 9 years post-op and I still have significant malaborption.  

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Stephanie B.
on 1/18/12 12:12 am - North Port, FL
You are right, infusions. I actually do see a hematologist and have the infusions once a week for 3 weeks every 4 months. I also have very severe periods, so now that I have better insurance I will be having an ablation done to either stop or pretty much slow to almost nothing my periods. Seriously my numbers during my monthly cycle are sooooo low. He thinks this is why my stores are not building up.

The hematolgist I see is really great, he is a doctor at the local cancer center where I get my infusions and specializes in blood disorders.

Thanks for letting me know you also are still malabsorbing. I feel more normal LOL

newyorkbitch
on 1/18/12 12:54 am, edited 1/18/12 12:54 am
Hi Stephanie,  I had my DS almost 12 years ago,  in March of 2000.  I get a series of iron infusions twice a year.  Each series is once a week for 5 weeks.  I get labs every 4 months.  I'm lucky in that my internist,  my hematologist both understand and are familiar with WLS and malabsorption issues.  You will probably just have to educate your doctors and be assertive about your needs.

The ablation will likely help the anemia issue for you.

Of course your malabsorption still works - otherwise you would gain all the weight back unless your eating and exercise habits have changed drastically.  I know that I malabsorb because I eat lots and I maintain my weight loss with ease.  Also,  I had a baby a year ago.

How old are you?

Stephanie B.
on 1/18/12 1:38 am - North Port, FL
Thanks for posting!

I think the ablation will help TONS! Congrats on your baby. Honestly I eat several small things a day, I cannot eat a lot at any one sitting still, believe it or not. Some days I can eat more than others, but usually I get full pretty fast.

I am 39 years old, just turned it December 27th. I am now on the road to 40. My periods have increased signifigantly the past couple of years and also come 21 days apart now (ugghhh) so that does not help. I heavy bleed 5-7 days every 21 days!

Blank Out
on 1/18/12 8:25 am
 Before you go straight to ablation, ask about Mirena.  I agreed to try it first before ablation for my extremely heavy periods.  I am quite happy with the results!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Julie R.
on 1/18/12 8:08 am - Ludington, MI
 Hi Stephanie:

I'd say a twelve-pound rebound at almost ten years out is a wildly successful DS story!   I am 5.5 years out and have minimal rebound.  My weight seems to maintain itself.  If I do gain a few pounds due to shameless carb consumption, I just cut back a bit and I drop the weight immediately.  

I too have to have infusions.   Since having an ablation, I can now manage to go about eighteen months between infusions.  I have two really big ones, two weeks apart.    

I have had some terriblyl stubborn issues with calcium and D absorption, but since upping my K2 and copper supplementation, they seem to be slowly resolving.  If you are just seeing a PCP for your post-op follow up, REALLY make sure you keep on top of your D and PTH.   Are these being tested regularly?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

gak
on 1/19/12 8:48 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Hi Stephanie, 
Congrats on doing well !  I am fighting anemia and will know how my progress is with my next set of labs. 

I wanted to tell you that I had an ablation years ago and it helped a ton for sometime until fibroids developed. Made a world of difference. Due to the fibroids I did eventually end up with a hysterectomy, but the ablation helped for sometime. 

Love the pic of your son, he is handsome. Congrats on your success.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views