Where do you buy your Vitamin A and D (not online)

Natasha B.
on 10/31/12 5:42 am - North Bay, Canada
Hi!!

I am a Canadian DS patient and I need to know where to buy my Dr Vitamin D and A. I live in Ontario, so New York is the closets to me or Northern Michigan (Sarnia) I can not find these vitamins anywhere in Canada!

Thank you for your help!!

2renee
on 10/31/12 5:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Hi Natasha,

I was having a hard time finding them in Ottawa as well.  Turns out you can get them by prescription and my plan covers a portion of it...

Natasha B.
on 10/31/12 6:06 am - North Bay, Canada

water soluble?? OMG!!!!!!!!!!! That is CRAZY good news if so!!!!!!!! THANK you for replying!!!!!!!

larra
on 10/31/12 8:31 am - bay area, CA

The prescription Vitamin D is NO****er soluble. It is packaged in oil. You will not absorb it. I haven't seen the prescription Vitamin A, but I bet it's the same.

From what I understand, these vitamins in "dry" form are indeed hard to come by in Canada. In fact, even in the USA, I have never seen them in any store. We all purchase them over the internet, usually from Vitalady, or from the manufacturer (bio-tech).

If you take the prescription form, thinking you are doing it right, you are going to find yourself in a world of trouble down the line. Do whatever you need to do to get the right vitamins. It will cost more in the short run, but save your health in the long run.

Larra

puppysweets1
on 11/1/12 4:38 am - CA

Larra, DRY D (and I think DRY A as well) is on the shelves at Whole Foods and The Vitamin Shoppe.  At least here in the Bay Area; don't know about other areas or Canada.   Problem is the highest dose available off the shelf is 5000iu and most of us take much more than that.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

larra
on 11/1/12 5:29 am - bay area, CA

No Whole Foods near me (though coming soon), but I'll have to check out The Vitamin Shoppe. Thanks!

Larra

Teresa D.
on 2/10/13 10:44 pm - Peachland, NC

Hello Larra:

on the vitalady website, could you tell me the exactly what you order of the vitamin D supplement?  There are several choices.

Many thanks!

Teresa D.    
larra
on 10/31/12 8:39 am - bay area, CA

Natasha, if you find dry D or A on any drug or nutrition store shelf, I'll be stunned. I've never seen them for sale anywhere in the USA except online. And the prescription D is definitely packaged in oil, not dry, and will not be absorbed. I tried looking up the prescription A, and found an injectable form that is water soluble, but could not find any info on the oral stuff.

The other poster who wrote about the prescription forms being on your health plan - I already answered her that they are almost surely the wrong forms. I'm sorry, I know you asked specifically about finding them not online, but I have never seen them anywhere else. I understand that you have to pay additional costs to get them from across the border, but it's well worth the extra $ in the long run to prevent deficiencies.

Larra

Natasha B.
on 10/31/12 10:16 am - North Bay, Canada
Thank you very much Larra! I purchased some (Dry D and A) in the better health store in Michigan where my surgeon is located. I am going to comtact them tomorrow about an order. I'm just afraid of ordering too much and having customs take it! There are a lot of Canadian patients that oeder from vitalady so I am going to check thatbout as well. Thank you so much!!

PatXYZ
on 10/31/12 10:34 am

I'm in Toronto and order from Vitalady every 3 months. I get my A, D and polysaccharide iron from her. I've never had anything seized coming across the border. The shipping is usually about $13 and I only once (out of four orders) had to pay customs. I order one bottle of Biotech D, 4 bottles of Biotech A and 4 bottles of polysaccharide iron at a time. You can't get the dry formulas anywhere in Canada and they are hard to find off the shelf in the US. Vitalady's prices are the best too. I just order from her.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views