what is your diet like?

lucy200683
on 12/25/12 10:37 pm
DS on 12/11/12

So next week i start on soft foods...   i have the booklet from my dr on what i should and shouldn't eat...

but im curious to see it from the actual people living it...  =)

How do you eat?  How many carbs do you limit yourself to and are still able to loose?

can you give me some tips and tricks to help me follow a good diet plan, and examples of daily meals?

also can somebody give me examples of a complex carb vs simple carb and do complex carbs count in your daily carb count?

Im trying to stay focused, strong, and on path...  Thanks in advance for all your help!

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

milesfos
on 12/25/12 11:18 pm
DS on 12/04/12

I stay away from carbs as much as possible. Reason why is GAS... I figured that out early for me. However for breakfast I typically eat a lean meat and a scrambled egg. For lunch and dinner a lean meat and green veg. I also found a website called DSfacts.com that has some good information from Veteran Ds. I also have tried a grilled drumstick from KFC. I remove the skin and have no problem getting it down and also try their green beans. For the gas I have started taking BEANO gas and so far its working.

lucy200683
on 12/25/12 11:30 pm
DS on 12/11/12

Thanks so much! i see you are a Dr Kim patient as well?   just had ur surg a week before me..   how are things going for you??  =)

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

milesfos
on 12/25/12 11:36 pm
DS on 12/04/12

Its better now. For the first two weeks I was miserable. I'm a revision from two failed lapbands. I will say the DS appears to be a learning process. We have to discover how certain foods respond to our body now. I'm having a hard time getting my 64oz down each day but I'm getting better.

lucy200683
on 12/25/12 11:39 pm
DS on 12/11/12

i hear you..  i had a lapband in for 2 years and it got infected and had it removed.. it has been out since 2010 ...   but it is def a learning game. 

i am as well having problems getting my fluids and protein all down.   it has to get better thought..  right??   =)

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

Valerie G.
on 12/26/12 12:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't be so worried about meat being lean.  Your DS is malabsorbing some 80% of the fat you consume, so you need to eat some extra to keep your body working properly.  If lean meat is a personal preference, make sure you're eating plenty of butter or whole milk cheese to make up for it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

beemerbeeper
on 12/27/12 3:22 am - AL

You need to learn to eat fatty meats.  If you don't have this problem now, you will, if you eat too little fat.  The problem meaning constipation which is a VERY SERIOUS matter.  You can develop anal fissures from constipation which you really really don't want.

I add fat to my diet at every turn.  Tons of bacon, fried eggs, butter on everything.  Mayo, full fat greek yogurt, etc...   I take tons of calcium and without all that fat I would be in serious trouble.  Plus the fat is yummy!!!!

~Becky

TaliTali
on 12/27/12 7:06 am - Sammamish, WA

Beano is designed to break down the carbs causing gas. The idea is that by breaking them down they are easier to absorb. We don't want to do that. We do NOT want to break them down and absorb more of them.

I'd advise staying away from any pills that "aids in digestion" because we had a surgery that causes malabsorption for a reason!

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

milesfos
on 12/25/12 11:54 pm
DS on 12/04/12

Yes it will get better. Also I drink 2 of the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control protein shakes twice a day. You can get 17g of protein from them. They really don't taste bad.

Valerie G.
on 12/26/12 12:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You don't have much room in your stomach now to get into too much trouble, so I kept my approach most simple and I lost 145 lbs in 14 months.  

Your two goals each day are 100g of protein and 64g of fluids.  When you have a plate of food, that's the first thing you're going to eat.  The complex carbs are defined as veggies - which take longer to break down and digest.  These are only about 30-50% absorbed, so they're almost free, too.  They are the second thing you eat, but save a couple of bites for whatever you want, be it bread, rice, or chocolate cake.  You've met your protein requirement for the meal and a bite or two left in your stomach will keep you from going butt-wild and keep you from feeling deprived at all.

With this method, I never counted carbs or calories, and never felt like I missed out on anything.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 227 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 723 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views