milk question...

lucy200683
on 1/23/13 1:06 am
DS on 12/11/12

i know milk has carbs.. like 12 per serving..   so why is it ok to add milk to your protein shakes?  i have been using water but i am reading about people using milk. 

is milk a good carb??   is their certain type of milk i should be drinking?

im so confused!  lol

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

Valerie G.
on 1/23/13 1:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It also has added protein of 8g per cup if your body can handle it, and it does make a more favorable consistency for protein drinks.  Some people follow the "Carb Nazi" program where they count absolutely everything, while others factor in complex vs. simple carbs because of the different ways we absorb them.  Others, like me, don't count them at all, but are mindful of the amount of simple carbs we eat - so as to not eat too much of them.  I count veggies as a free food, myself, like fat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

lucy200683
on 1/23/13 1:34 am, edited 1/23/13 1:49 am
DS on 12/11/12

hmm..ok.  

i am trying to be really good on carbs and be a carb nazi..   i read from somebody else that used my dr as well..   that she had a longer common channel than most people on here.   i don't know if mine is the same.  i have an appt with him on friday so i will be asking this question.   i have had alot of stalls and don't think i am loosing as quickly as normal DS'ers so im wondering if that is the case. 

so im trying to be extra mindful of excess carbs since i may not have as much malabsorption as other DS'ers...

thanks as always for your feedback Valerie!

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

Valerie G.
on 1/23/13 2:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

33 lbs in 6 weeks sounds like you're on a good roll.  You'll go through several stalls, so don't sweat them.  Weigh yourself only once a week at the same time on the same day to get a true account of your loss.  I used the stall periods to try on smaller sizes of clothes, and I always went down a size or two, so it made these periods happy times.  When it lasted more than 2 weeks, I would eat just 1 Krispy Kreme donut and I swear it was magic.  It was like a kick in the pants that got my losing started again.  For a while it became a Sunday ritual.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

vsully04
on 1/23/13 9:32 pm
shannn
on 1/23/13 2:00 am - Knoxville , TN

The more low-fat the milk, the higher the carbs. If you're worried about carbs, use whole milk, cream or heavy cream. Lots of people can't deal with milk, but I've never had a problem with it. Cream is too heavy for me, but I use 2% milk.

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

lucy200683
on 1/23/13 2:02 am
DS on 12/11/12

thanks.. im gonna check it out!

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

Jaiart
on 1/23/13 3:50 am, edited 1/23/13 11:49 am - MI
The secret to using heavy cream is to use 4oz of cream and the res****er. Give it the "creamy" taste but the water cuts the thickness...

JazzyOne9254
on 1/25/13 12:16 am

I applaud your answer!  As a dietitian-in-training, I discovered that most people don't recognize that the lower the fat, the higher the carbs with regard to milk!  As fat content decreases, sugar (lactose) content increases.  I am also lactose intolerant, and was as a pre-op, so I already knew I could only use whole milk id I wanted to keep my guts quiet!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

allegedlylisa
on 1/23/13 2:21 am

I add milk to get the added protein - 1 gram protein for 1 oz of milk.  I did this early on in attempt to get my protein up to 60 per day.  I suppose when we can get more protein from food rather than from what we drink, it would be wiser to use something in our shakes with less carbs - but I'm at a point where I'm doing everything I can to up my protein.

There seem to be two running streams of thought - those who say to heck with carbs, don't count them, but be smart about it (no obvious things like bread, sugar, rice, potatoes) and those who say to count them and keep below a certain number.  Both groups seem to be successful.

For now I'm going to work on upping protein and water (and staying away from obvious carbs).  If that stops working for me, then I'll try counting carbs.

It is confusing!  That's the one thing that I have found lacking after surgery is someone to walk you down the best path for you regarding what to eat.  I was just sort of shoved out the door, told I could eat what I wanted, but get lots of protein and water - with no comprehensive plan of how to do that.

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 147 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views