It must be broken

myblueseven
on 2/6/13 8:01 pm - Sudbury, Canada

OK  I have been low carb high protein and fat since Jan 14.  Weighed myself this morning. No change at all.

On average I get 75g fat, 40g carbs and 125 protein.  and at least 64oz water.

My exercise is limited but I do work full time in a pet store and am walking, carrying etc at least 9 hours a day 5 days a week.  On weekends I walk about 30-60 min depending on how cold it is.

With all that fat should I not be seeing some changes in my bowels.  There is no "oil slick" at all.

What else can I do?   I really am about to give up.  I don.t even feel better.

SUE
clpeltz
on 2/6/13 8:27 pm

75 g of fat is NOT high fat.  Remember, you only absorb 20% of the fat that you consume.  If you want 75g absorbed, you would need to consume 375g fat.  I routinely get close to 300g of fat per day.  You can add fat by adding butter/heavy whipping cream to items.  I use heavy whipping cream for my coffee.  

It looks like you are several years out?  I am almost 2 years out and am finding it VERY hard to lose any additional weight.  Remember that you are not gauranteed to lose all of your excess weight.  From what I can tell, it gets harder to lose the farther out we get.  We can still lose, it just takes a lot more work.  You need to add more fat and more water.  If there is any way to increase exercise, that will help as well. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

determineddanni
on 2/7/13 4:10 am

That is not high fat at all :( I take in 150g a day. If you want you can lower your carbs even more and kinda shock your body. Some people go on a NO CARB for a full week maybe even two to get their body jump started. I cannot stress eating more fat though. DS is a funny thing. You will get there, I have total faith in the DS as a great tool.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Huneypie
on 2/7/13 4:15 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

That's very low.  When I was doing Xenical and following a strict low fat diet I was getting 60g.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

beemerbeeper
on 2/7/13 6:56 am - AL

I am loosing a regain at 3 + years out.  It never breaks.  In my opinion you are eating too many carbs and not getting enough fat.  Ways to get fat:

pour real butter over popcorn

eat fatty steaks like ribeyes

use heavy cream to go with coffee or to make hot chocolate

eat full fat Greek Yogurt

eat full fat everything that comes in low fat or no fat.

But mainly I bet it is your carbs.  Also how often do you eat?  When I was loosing I ate constantly (really...I never left the house without 2 lunch boxes full of protein).  Eating constantly keeps your metabolism going (I believe anyway.)

That is what worked for me as a new pre-op and now loosing a small regain.

~Becky

myblueseven
on 2/8/13 11:25 pm - Sudbury, Canada

Ok I hear what you are saying but how can I get so much fat without the carbs.  375gms is like a pound of butter a day. Wow.  Even if I put butter on popcorn and eat loaded potatoes etc I am still consuming carbs. What do you snack on that is high fat, low carb high protein.  Are peanuts good?  I feel like such an idiot but I can't seem think of enough things to eat to reach this goal.  Even yogurt has carbs.

SUE
PatXYZ
on 2/9/13 12:01 am

Cheese!!!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
southernlady5464
on 2/9/13 1:07 am

Actually a lb of unsalted butter has NO carbs, no sugars and only 92 grams of fat...of which you only absorb 18.4 grams of it.

A NORMAL healthy person needs about 30 grams of fat a day to make your skin/brain, etc healthy. That means a DS'er needs about 150 grams for it to equal the 30 grams a normal person gets.

We typically use about 2 sticks of butter here (both my husband and I are DS'ers) each day. I do use the unsalted kind. I also cook any veggies I have in either butter or bacon grease.

Ditch the idea of lean meat...make sure any hamburger is 80/20 not 90/10. Low fat is NOT your friend.

Carbs are NOT the enemy in the right foods. Yogurt is one of the right foods.

One thing we do is use a topping my Mother used decades ago (LONG before the low fat craze) on things like broccoli (which both my husband and I can eat easily): 1 cup mayo (FULL FAT...and if you are in the south, make it Duke's as that has NO sugar added) and 1 stick of soft butter mixed together. Can be easily kept in the fridge and reheated to make it soft again in the microwave.

Not enough fat will also cause most of us to be constipated. I can always tell when I don't get enough...it gets much harder to go.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

happydsr
on 2/9/13 12:13 am

please tell us more abut the kind of protein you are eating.

chicken - skinless breasts or crispy fried thighs, with the skin

hamburger - extra lean  or prime rib burgers, or better hamburger mixed half and half with ground pork

steaks - like Becky says, rib eye is best

pork - loin chops, or fatty butt chops

milk - skim or **** or even whipped cream

see the trend here?  The meat protein can be very fatty without the carbs.

TaliTali
on 2/9/13 12:49 am - Sammamish, WA

I'm a coffee flavored heavy cream drinker. Hah! In other words, I like half heavy cream and half coffee. It's AMAZING. Well, it is if you like coffee. I can go to my local coffee shops and get a cafe au lait (Misto is what Starbuck's calls it) have them use the heavy cream. It's a quick way to get fat, calcium, protein ... brilliant.

I also eat cheese, greek yogurt, beef jerky, and nuts (they have carbs but they don't concern me as much). If I eat potatoes I load them up with cream cheese (or sour cream or cream fraiche), cheese, bacon, and butter. I try to load far more fat in it that you'd think was necessary. 

That said, I don't eat fat off my  meats (usually), I don't generally eat chicken that has skin, and I really don't use a lot of fat to cook with. I cook for someone who is sensitive to fat and I don't really like how I feel with too much either so I don't do it. I get my fat mostly from the cream and dairy items.

But, if you want to drop weight, I'd evaluate which carbs you are getting and see if they are the best use of your stomach. Try lowering them a bit more for a few weeks and see if that helps. I'd also try to get in a protein shake if you can instead of just eating food for that protein. I find that protein shakes absorb better and our bodies really really like them.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views