How much fat?

myblueseven
on 2/18/13 4:14 am - Sudbury, Canada

How much daily fat intake should I be aiming for?  I can't seem to get above 75g.

SUE
PattyL
on 2/18/13 4:23 am

You aren't getting enough.  Real butter, bacon, heavy cream, more cheese will get you there!

MajorMom
on 2/18/13 4:38 am - VA

What Patty said and Fage Greek yogurt, sour cream, nuts, ranch dressing,...

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 2/18/13 4:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Aren't you following a non-DS diet plan?

Perhaps its time to just concentrate on high protein, whole foods with whole fat and low carb.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

myblueseven
on 2/18/13 5:05 am - Sudbury, Canada

I am following what has been recommended here.  Protein 150g, carbs below 50 and high fat.  I have been on that for 4 weeks without any loss.  I has been suggested that I try getting more fat.  I was wondering how much more. Is this not a DS diet plan?

SUE
Valerie G.
on 2/18/13 6:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

DS doesn't have a "diet plan" per se, but the high protein/low carb practice is the most recommended.  Work on adding fat to everything you eat.  You can make ricotta fluff with whole cream, add butter to everything - it's delicious on steak, for example.  Take full advantage to the rich sauces and gravies that life has to offer.  Brie cheese on apple slices are delicious!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 2/19/13 8:59 am

When I don't get enough fat, I get constipated. My go-to 'cure' is ranch dip made with full-fat sour cream, eaten on raw cauliflower. (And sometimes just on a spoon, LOL!)

beemerbeeper
on 2/18/13 6:36 am - AL

Butter, sour cream, greek yogurt (full fat), oils of any sort.  Ribeye steaks have a lot of fat.  I cook everything I can in butter.  I use mayonaise on lots of things too.  Full fat cheeses.  I can't do milk, lactaid milk, soy milk, etc...  But I CAN do Heavy Cream.  I use it to make diet hot chocolate.

When I travel I can't get enough fat and I get constipated. 

You can't get too much fat.  Look for ways to add it to your diet!  And an added bonus is that it is filling and satisfying and will help keep you away from carbs.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/13 11:29 am

I had a hard time with getting enough fat in too. Pre DS I thought "no problem!!"  Well, it is hard, especially early, out before I can eat very much. The one thing that helped me the most is to start using 1/2 & 1/2 in my protein drinks. I drink two shakes a day with .5 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 each time. This gives me 28 grams of extra "easy" fat each day. I say easy, because sometimes it does feel like too much work to try and get more fat into meals.

If you are needing more fat, you could even use some heavy cream in your shakes. I tried that and found it too think/hard on my tummy even when I cut it with some water. Even now, I have to add 2 ounces of water to thin out the 1/2 & 1/2.

Fatty nuts and peanut butter might be good additions for you too. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views