Looking for VSG to DS People, Plus ? Re: Post-Op Diet

~~Sami~~ *.
on 3/16/13 10:17 am - Jacksonville, FL

I had a Band back in 2001 and was revised to a VSG in 2008.  I didn't do fab with either...but good enough to be happy for awhile.  With the VSG, I actually got down to 190 (yippee..my lowest adult weight) last summer, but have since all of a sudden gained 50 pounds without a change in diet, and actually an increase in activity (I know because I track my steps daily with a FitBit Zip).  So, now as things continue to go up, I'm looking at adding the DS bit to my VSG.

I had considered going straight for the DS back in 2008, but decided against it for three reasons:

1) My surgeon felt that as my goal weight was 175-190 and I told him I'd be happy with anything under 200, the VSG would be "enough"

2) I really suck at eating low-carb

3) I worry a lot about osteopenia and osteoporosis as I've watched my Mom deal with both and suffer many fractures (even though she's not a bariatric patient.)  I did have elevated PTH right after my VSG, but Vitalady to the rescue helped me resolve that with massive Vit D3.

Anyways, I'm looking for people who have gone from the VSG to DS.  What has been your experience?  Have you been happy?  Any osteoporosis issues?

Thanks in advance.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

stromgardgirl
on 3/17/13 9:44 pm
I'm almost a year out and I don't LOVE my ds but am happy with it. Honestly you really should eat low carb with the ds and many people have no choice. Their bodies just won't handle the wheat and such. If you primarily focus on getting protei. In first and foremost (which with ds you have to 100+ grams a day) there isn't much room for anything else. I had some very freak complications after surgery that took their toll on me and will deal with for rest of life. Like I said they were freak. It is a major surgery so anything can happen. I had my first bone density done and bones look great. Honestly the amount of calcium we take helps fight it. If you are predisposed to it even without ds you will get it. If you do bone scan line recommended you can catch it pretty early and fight it from furthering.

Beat advice is research research research. Even with that there are some things that you still won't be prepared for.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views