What can I expect for hernia repair surgery?

clutterbunny
on 4/11/13 12:58 am - CA

How long will I be down?

Is it really outpatient if laproscopic?

Will I really be back to work in a week?

Can I drive myself home from the hospital?

Help meeeeeeeeeeee!

jzwife
on 4/11/13 2:45 am

In an answer to your last question NO- you will not be able to drive yourself home. I am sure they will be giving you some sort of anestesia(sp) and they won't allow you to drive. Not all Laproscopic surgeries are outpatient surgeries. many people have laprocsopic surgeries and are in the hospital for several days. It  all depends on the severity of the hernia and how much work they have to do to fix it. As far as being back to work- again, it will all depend on how severe the repair is and what your surgeon says. I just had some hernias repaired during my revision and can't lift anything over 5 lbs for the next couple of months-part of that is because of my revision surgery and partly because of the hernia repair. I would be getting some serious information from my surgeon so that you have something to go on. Each surgeon has their own protocol they want you to follow.

good luck!

clutterbunny
on 4/11/13 3:17 am - CA

I figured not, but thought I'd give it a shot.

He's telling me back to work in a week (assuming no issues, which he doesn't expect).  I guess I just wanted some...soothing.  Kinda freaked out about it because it's to the point where it can't wait.

Thanks!

Valerie G.
on 4/11/13 12:45 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My doc recommended overnight at hospital just to make sure my pain was under control, but I did have the option to go home.  I took her advice and stayed, though.  I took 2 weeks off, just waiting for the swelling to go down enough to wear my work clothes.  Arrange a ride home for sure, for you'll have pain meds in you for a while.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LosingSally
on 4/12/13 3:53 pm

If you have a repair without mesh, you shouldn't lift anything over about a gallon of milk for about 2-3 months. When the muscles are repaired with sutures and tightening the muscles themselves and reinforcing the weak places with sutures, it is easier to mess up if you don't allow the muscle tissue and the incision to heal very well.

So if you work without lifting, and you have a tiny hernia with no complications, you may be back to work in a week.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views