Is this "normal"?

meq815
on 5/25/13 6:40 am - PA

So, on Monday, I will be 4 weeks post op.  Up until 2 days ago, the nausea and weakness have been crippling.  Yesterday, I finally got some relief!  So much so, that I was able to go to dinner with my family last night.  Hair,makeup, the whole deal.  I had hot tea, a taste of cream of broccoli soup, and 5-6 tiny forkfuls of mashed potatoes.  The joy I felt just being able to sit and sociallize for a few hours was incredible!

My question is.....Is it "normal" to feel so full after such a minute amount of food?  Seems ridiculous to me.

leanmama
on 5/25/13 6:51 am - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

Yes it is normal, you have a very small stomach at at this time it is still swollen from surgery (healing).  You did good in my humble opinion with limiting yourself.  Your choices will get better and better as you heal.  And if not great choices you will find out what you body will do.  (gas, diarrheal stools).  I have had such issues when surprised with the wheat/carbs/sugars  that seems to be hidden ingredients in so many things as hidden thickeners etc. 

PeteA
on 5/25/13 12:47 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I have found this to be the normal starting point. As your stomach heals you will be able to get in more. When I started solid food I could barely get 2 oz of meat in a sitting and definitely  had no room for anything else. Now, as I feel better I can get 3 maybe 4 oz at a time with just a tiny bit of room left for something like mashed potatoes. So your not alone.

Just remember - protein first. angry Congratulations on a successful trip out to eat.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

2renee
on 5/25/13 2:36 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Completely normal.  Your tummy is still healing and much smaller than it was.  First time I went out for dinner, the waiter wanted to give me a refund because I hadn't eaten anything.  LOL      I must say that I was almost scared to eat for the first while but forced myself to eat small amounts often and that is how I gained my strength back.  The nausea should subside as time goes or you may need an acid reducer like prilosec.  Talk to you Dr.about it. 

Renee

meq815
on 5/26/13 2:29 am - PA

Thanks, All!  Yes, Renee, I am on Prilosec.

I am still technically on the pureed stage until Wednesday, but am starting to fantasize about "real" food.  Oh, what I would give for 2 oz of steak!  i guess that is a good thing, as the thought of food was instant retching, up until a few days ago.

Valerie G.
on 5/28/13 3:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's very normal for a while.  You will notice as the months pass that you'll be able to eat a little more and more.  Today, I can eat a "normal size" meal (suggested serving sizes, not my old normal) and nobody guesses that I'm any kind of wls patient.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

meq815
on 5/28/13 11:02 pm - PA

That's so awesome, Valerie!  It's stories like yours that keep me encouraged...thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 130 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views