Just got home from hospital

BethR
on 10/19/13 12:58 pm - Minneapolis, MN
DS on 10/14/13
After years of working to get everything lined up for wls, I finally had the ds on Monday the 14th. Just got home a few hours ago and just amazed that I finally had it. Excited for what is to come in the future thru hardwork!
I'm figuring it's normal that every bathroom run is going to be a bm for a little bit. Right? 😐
I've already noticed that the clear liquids I did before surgery don't taste the same and I can taste salt in evvvverything

I suppose my biggest question would be where do you get sample packets of protein powers? I have one that I like but lord knows if I'm going to like it now (once I start full liquids). I figured on waiting till after surgery to find one I liked and buy a big container. There was a drink recipe for vanilla-cinnamon protein shake but it's so left field I don't know if it'd be good.
Thanks!
Huneypie
on 10/19/13 6:44 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Congrats - you sound like you're doing well.  Frequent BMs are very normal for the first month or so, once you've healed and are taking all the vits you should including calcium and iron things will firm up and you may have to push the fat to help moves things along.

You can buy protein samples from Vitalady.

Hang in there, you're through the worst now ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 10/19/13 7:54 pm - VA

Welcome to the dark side!  

I would check Vitalady's samples as Huneypie said. I make my own vanilla-cinnamon just using a dash of cinnamon in my protein coffee.

You might want to just stick with vanilla protein powder a dash of cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice, maybe a little extra Splenda or Truvia, and mix it in a few ounces of Lactaid milk. Keep it simple for now and don't be afraid to water things down. Your taste buds and sense of smell are likely going nuts right now. Oh, and don't try to smell your protein. Put it in a cup with a lid at first. I still use a blender bottle with wire ball, which is basically a sippy cup for adults.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 10/20/13 4:50 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I did the vitalady samples and they were a great way to try out a lot of different protein powders. I saw there is somewhere else that does syntrax nectar samples but I don't remember where. Some link with bariatrics in the name.

Everyone is different but I found the cookies and cream sample packs gave me a lot of gas at 4 months out.

When you do samples you might want to do one very couple of days so you can get an idea of how your body reacts not just the taste.

DeeDeeLynne60
on 10/20/13 9:37 am - Massillon, OH

Congrats to you!! Can I ask you how the surgery was?? I am just curious..did you have it lapriscopically or open?? 

BethR
on 10/20/13 3:30 pm - Minneapolis, MN
DS on 10/14/13

Thanks! Well, the surgery was great - slept thru the whole thing :-P   my surgeon used the Da Vinci robot so he made 6 small incisions (the biggest one/main port with the camera was about an inch long). In recovery I was told the table I was on was tilted quite a ways (working with gravity), so my left arm and foot were somehow sore, but that went away by night. 

I usually have issues with nausea and headaches when I get any kind of anesthesia, but they gave me stuff before going into the operating room to take care of that. I didn't get sick once from the anesthesia this time :) I was in the hospital for 6 days, all the while just resting, and working with physical therapy to make sure I can get in and out of the bed, shower, and worked with occupational therapy to learn how to dress without bending over.  Now that I'm home, I am so thankful for those little chunks of time, and even after 2 days of being home, stairs are getting much easier, and I even got socks on without using anything or asking for help! (celebrating the little things!) :)

juliew
on 10/21/13 10:42 am - Stockton, CA

For me, being able to put socks on my own feet without help from anyone would be a huge accomplishment since I can't do it now. Short arms + fat = no socks. lol 

Congrats on going to the dark side. I can't wait till I get there myself.

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/20/13 10:20 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Here's a link to my post about samples from Syntrax. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4637269/Nectar-Syntrax- Protein-Variety-Sampler/

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

BethR
on 10/20/13 3:32 pm - Minneapolis, MN
DS on 10/14/13

Thank you all so much! :) If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll check out Vitelady - that one rings a bell, just forgot about it!  I go in for my one-week post op on Tuesday and I'll get to go onto full liquids...something other than broth! haha

bigfoot62
on 10/21/13 12:31 am - Cold Lake, Canada

Good luck you sound healthy and happy. I'm going in today looking for suggestions

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views