crackers coming out my nose

MSSEXXC74
on 11/16/13 10:34 pm

The last 2 nights I have had bad acid reflux.  I have been taking Protonix and Zofran and and even tried tums last night. I tried some crackers also. So when I awake again after that its because the crackers are coming out of my nose.

This happen to anyone else if so what did you do?

jashley
on 11/17/13 1:29 am
DS on 12/19/12

For some reason, I have a lot less GERD now than I did before surgery.  But I have had it just like you describe.  Where I get woken up because it is burning as it comes up the back of my throat and I'm choking on it.

The first thing I do is sit up.  I sleep sitting up from then on.  It keeps the GERD down in my stomach better.  Every time I lay down, it would come back up into my mouth and lungs and wake me up.

My sister swears that it is helped by apple cider vinegar.  She says the reason we have this is because we don't have enough stomach acid, and then we take more meds to neutralize the acids, making it worse.  I will admit that I drink water with a couple tbs of apple cider vinegar in it (it's got good bacteria/probiotics in it also).  Since I've done this, I have not had a bad GERD episode.  But I would probably stop this if I had a bad GERD attack, no matterw hat she says.

teachmid
on 11/17/13 10:19 am - OKC, OK
Dr. K switched me to Nexium and it really helped.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Nancy T.
on 11/17/13 11:54 pm
DS on 07/16/13

I get that reflux if I eat within an hour or so before going to bed, so I make sure I stop heating early enough in the evening.  It's awful, isn't it?  I'm on Prilosec (omeprozole) and that helps heartburn.  How late are you eating anything? 

MSSEXXC74
on 11/18/13 12:15 am

Im not eating anything.  I ate the crackers to stop the burning.  I have a feeding tube.  For 2 days I wasn't allowed to use it dr said try eating.  That didn't work out too great so only stuff im getting is tube injested. I take a tiny sip of water to take meds because they keep clogging my tube. Other than that only tube.

Dr. K said NPO for 3 weeks and I need an EDG TO SEE if im forming scar tissue and if so will it heal itself or will I need surgery to correct it.

Nancy T.
on 11/18/13 12:51 am
DS on 07/16/13

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.  Thankfully you have doctors that are closely monitoring.  Did you tell them about this problem you are having with the reflux?

MSSEXXC74
on 11/18/13 12:55 am, edited 11/18/13 12:55 am

yes that's why I'm NPO for the three next 3 weeks. 

Nancy T.
on 11/18/13 10:00 pm
DS on 07/16/13

I'm not being much help, am I??    Anyway, I'm hoping that your body will learn to adjust and you'll feel better very soon.

MSSEXXC74
on 11/19/13 12:44 am

Thanks for the concern. Dr made me  so now the issue has stopped.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views